Thinking of getting an RX-100 V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ioncloud9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
With a Nauticam Housing. Currently using an X3000 and I'm pretty happy with the video quality, its just very difficult to take any still photographs or to see what I'm filming. I still want to use it as a "dive video log" camera, I just want something better for photos. I might eventually get into macro, though the larger life usually interests me more than tiny things.

I really like the features, specs, and size of the camera. Is it worth the $2000 for the camera and housing? I know I'll probably need strobes at some point, or at least an additional video light to start.

Fantasea makes a decent, inexpensive housing for rx100v. Also a wet macro lens.

Have you thought about a cheaper kit, to familiarize your with underwater photography, before investing so much money? There will always be newer RX100 that you can get later. In the meanwhile, maybe a used Canon G12 with new housing for a total of about $200 USD? The G12 maybe old tech, from 2010, but it's kind of like a workhorse, as you'll find a lot of divers with it. You can add strobes and lighting, which will be transferable to an RX100 rig later.

Fantasea makes a decent, inexpensive housing for rx100v. Also a wet macro lens.

Agreed. I have the V and I am happy with it. Especially the full manual controls and RAW option but I am not sure how far I would go with the housing. Obviously value is different for everyone but I would have trouble investing $1000 in a compact camera housing. The Fantasea V housing retails for $500 and can be purchased used for $300+-.
Housing choice aside I did quite a bit of research before purchasing the Sony V and I think it one of the best compact cameras available. I paired it with a Fantasea V housing, 2 YS-01 strobes and a Mozaik delrin lightweight tray and handles. The total package is capable of shooting very high quality images while still being lightweight and travel friendly. I also have a Fantasea Big Eye lens for the lightweight and travel friendly theme and added a Kraken KRL-01 WA wet lens option for image quality. I purchased everything used at about 1/2 price so that is an option if you are interested in saving $.

Don’t forget a wide angle lens and possibly a macro lens. Sony’s white balance range isn’t the best compared to others, even with manual white balance it maxes out, so the sooner you can get the brightest strobes or video lights that you can afford, the better. I would factor that into your analysis of whether you want to spend that much on a housing.

I have a IV with a Nauticam housing and I have nothing but praise for the remarkable design and engineering of the housing. I love the shutter trigger and the vacuum valve with indicator light plus flood sensor are excellent peace of mind. I’ve used it on about 200 dives now. All rings, buttons, dials and functions of the camera are accessible. I never have fogging issues even when never taking it into an AC environment in places like Indonesia. I usually set everything up on deck outside. My sample size here is in the 100+ per year in these humid conditions.

I would purchase Nauticam again for all future cameras. As an aside, do lube your o-rings and check them. A guy flooded his Nauticam RX100IV housing on a liveaboard with me. He failed to check his o-rings and didn’t have a vacuum valve either. I surfaced to them rinsing out the camera with fresh water. :(

Don’t forget a wide angle lens and possibly a macro lens. Sony’s white balance range isn’t the best compared to others, even with manual white balance it maxes out, so the sooner you can get the brightest strobes or video lights that you can afford, the better. I would factor that into your analysis of whether you want to spend that much on a housing.

I have a IV with a Nauticam housing and I have nothing but praise for the remarkable design and engineering of the housing. I love the shutter trigger and the vacuum valve with indicator light plus flood sensor are excellent peace of mind. I’ve used it on about 200 dives now. All rings, buttons, dials and functions of the camera are accessible. I never have fogging issues even when never taking it into an AC environment in places like Indonesia. I usually set everything up on deck outside. My sample size here is in the 100+ per year in these humid conditions.

I would purchase Nauticam again for all future cameras. As an aside, do lube your o-rings and check them. A guy flooded his Nauticam RX100IV housing on a liveaboard with me. He failed to check his o-rings and didn’t have a vacuum valve either. I surfaced to them rinsing out the camera with fresh water. :(

Those were the main factors of getting a nauticam housing. If I’m putting a $1000 camera in it, I want to make sure it has a vacuum seal and high quality construction.

I have the RX100 Va and would not recommend it for video as the camera can overheat and shut down. Furthermore the battery is small and may not last an hour. I believe that the RX100 V may have the same problems. The RX100 VII may have overcome the overheating problem but the small battery remains.

I gave up on 4K and shot 2K instead. I believe it also overheats in 2K. I seem to recall that multiple short clips in quick succession could also cause the camera to overheat.

My workaround was to turn off the camera for about 5 minutes, once or twice during a dive (as opposed to leaving it on in standby) so that the camera could cool down. I also carried a GoPro 7 mounted on the cold shoe as a backup in case I wanted to shoot anything whilst the RX100 was off. Having multiple batteries is a must. I have 3.

I only shoot video. If I were to purchase a compact camera for video today, I would not buy a RX100.

Back
Top Bottom