Thinking of Getting a camera.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBADIVINERIK

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville North Carolina...Home sweat home.
Hi all,
I have never used this forum but I have a camera question and what better place to ask it. I want to get a underwater camera. The beauty of the Springs in Florida have convinced me that I need to be able to share images with my girlfriend who is currently overseas. I am on the fence between a Nikonos V and a Reefmaster DC310. Now I know this is probably like comparing apples to oranges(digital to film).
I have seen the Nikonos V in the past and liked it. I have been told Nikon is not making the Nikonos Line anymore. If this is true how hard are the Orings and seals to get? What do you like about this camera? What do you dislike?

I have only seen the Reefmaster in a dive shop. Same questions what do you like and dislike? I had a kodak digital and it held up well through two trips to the desert but got stolen last fall. I liked the ability to view my photos with the digital but that is about the only thing I liked better than a regular film cameras.

I guess I know a bit more about the Nikonos V and am leaning towards it but I am looking for thoughts or links to both before I jump in and pick it up

I guess I am just looking for opinions before I buy.

Thanks

I think I'm going to buy the Reefmaster DC310 soon. I've got the film version of it now and the strobe, so already having the strobe will be an easy transition (for me).

Most people like this camera, but the "die hard" camera people will tell you that you need a better setup for those "awesome" pics, which they are right. But this type does good for my purposes, which are just to take some pics while I'm out on a dive.

So if you want those "awesome" award winning pics, you'll want more. If you want to take a few vacation snapshots, this'll be fine.

I have the DC310 double strobe set up with all the bells and whistles. I've had this setup for over a year and so far have liked it a bunch both underwater and on land.

As long as instructions followed - no problems. I did have one little spring come off on the back of the housing and when I contacted them and asked to ship a new spring, they asked me to ship the housing and returned a brand new housing to me and in time for a dive trip (pretty short notice) so needless to say I'm happy with the service.

On another thread, using "Moisture Munchers" is advisable - I really agree with that.

I also have a Nikonis V that was my starter camera. Parts and accessories are easy to find, especially on EBay. But film vs digital. I have to side with digital. Instant "See" and no paying for prints that go in the dust bin.

Good luck

NAIBDiver1

Yeah the instant see...thats what leans me towards the digital.

The Nikonos that I saw...several years ago I admit....was real well built and I still remember it well. I guess it might come down to price. I dont know much about UW camera prices is 300 a fair price for the Nikonos w strobe 28 and 35mm lenses? Thats the going rate on the one I am looking at here in town. I need to go check on the Reefmaster as well.

Erik

$300 is a great price for a Nik V (not IV, yuck) with a pair of lenses and a strobe. Remember to budget about $150-180 for an annual service of it all, if you get it.

If you're an experienced photographer, the Nikonos is quality that you'll be able to appreciate. If you're just starting out, you might not want to shackle yourself to film, and I'd strongly consider the 310.

All the best, James

The digital is going to give you better results faster because it will allow you to view your shots right away and you can then correct things on the spot.

Nik Vs are still around and the prices for used ones seems to vary wildly. Have a check on the net and at places like B&H Photo for some ideas on prices. AFAIK, orings etc are still available and there are still repair/service centres for those annual check-ups. These are great cameras but the learning curve is pretty steep.

Now to the Reefmaster. It's great that a couple of people have popped in to say they like theirs. It's a perfectly reasonable choice. But it's also a bit limited.

For the same money more or less you can get a really good consumer digital camera and manufacturer housing. No, you won't be able to get the extras - strobe, lenses etc. But the camera itself will be better and, to me, this is a distinct advantage.

I believe the camera has a fixed focus lens - no zoom and no real macro capability (that's what the add-on lens is for, but you are still stuck at only one distance). This would drive me crazy...not every subject is going to let you close enough or be in the right spot. There's limited flexibility here.

A better camera means better images that can be manipulated more in software after the dive. They can also be cropped and enlarged to more extremes than images from a so-so camera (MP and optics wise).

The strobe with the Reefmaster 310 does allow swivel of the head, but not much else for positioning. To combat backscatter, create moods, light at appropriate angles you're going to need to modify that arm somehow - it needs to throw light where you want it and not simply straight ahead. There are also no manual controls - it is important that you be able to control the amount of light reaching your subject so you don't blow out hightlights.

This is not an ideal camera for on land either - mostly due to the limitations above. A digital camera in a housing is going to offer you better photos for all the times you aren't underwater.

After all the negatives, you don't NEED any particular camera and most cameras out there will do an OK job. But the better the tool the farther ahead of the game you are - you can build a house with a hammer, but wouldn't a nail gun be better?

HTH...and I look forward to seeing your photos no matter which rig you find suits YOU the best!

The Nikonos is a legendary UW camera, but keep in mind old technology. The biggest thing that one may want to consider is the focus, which is rangerfinder, and manual. I have not used one UW, so I can not really comment much other than to say that I've read a lot about it over the years, and some people have issues. The other factor is the lens costs. Most come with the 35mm lens, but to upgrade to a 28mm you will need to spend about as much as the entire cost of the Reefmaster.

If you are going digital you own it to yourself to consider some of the other options. One can use the reefmaster flash with the Canon D70 for example. I just purchased the S70 and housing, and the package cost me about $540 with a USA warrantee.

This camere, and the Oly 5060 offer some unique benifits in digital as one can shoot RAW. The other advantage is more resolution as a 3.1 mpix is good to 8x10, however there is little in the way of cropping options if one wants to print that size, and crop.

The S70 is a 7mpix camera, and the difference in resolution between a 3.1 mpix camera and a 7mpix camera is about a 50% increase in resolution.

Good Luck with the purchase

If you get a Nikonos, make sure to get a wide angle lens. The 15mm and 20mm lenses are still the best underwater wide angle optics available. They are sharp from corner to corner. You won't have a problem getting the camera serviced. Plenty of o-rings will be available for years to come. If you won't be using a wide angle lens, get something else.

I don't recommend against the reefmaster cameras, but there are better options for the same money. If you look at the actual bodies, they aren't in the same league as the ones offered by Canon or Olympus.

My advice is to get a Nikon, Canon or Fuji. The cameras are great and you'll be able to get good results with a housing alone. When you want to expand, you can add a strobe and a macro or wide angle lens. The cheapest route would be a Nikon in a Fantasea housing. B&H sells the wide angle/macro lens sets for about $150. You can't beat that. Last week I was on vacation and my behemouth of a film housing took two days to catch up with me. I borrowed a housing. attached are some photos taken with the Coolpix 4300/Fantasea housing without any accessories.

Back
Top Bottom