Thinking of buying a digital camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJana

Reaction score
I just got back from my first ocean dive. I couldn't wait to see the pics I took from a one time use camera. Boy was I very disappointed by the pics. I knew I wouldn't get great quality from the cheap camera but I can't even tell what I was taking a picture of. Because of the bad pics I thought I might buy a digital camera. I found a Sea & Sea Reef Master DC250 for $400. Are these good cameras? If not does anyone have any suggestions? Or should I buy a camera that uses film? Please help. Don't know what to do and am leaving for another dive trip in a few days.

Happy diving,
Jana

If you'll do a search on the topic of beginning cameras you'll find lots of info.

You're first decision has to be a budget. What are your spending limits? You can get affordable digital and film cameras for just a few hundred dollars. Then decide on the purpose of your photos. Do you want to print them for photo albums to show your friends, want enlargements? What size? Want them mainly to send in emails and share on the web? All these answers will lead you a bit further to a camera that will suit your needs.

Film cameras may be cheaper to start out but you'll have the expense of film and processing, limited number of shots, fixed focus. Unless you have the money and desire to go with a housed SLR, I think you'll be better of starting with a digital.

Digital may cost a bit more to start but you'll have a memory card to use over and over again, you have instant access to view your photos to see how you're doing. This gives you the chance to re-take some photos. Fish don't always wait around! Depending on the quality you choose, you can take hundreds of shot on a single dive, the auto focus and zoom lens make taking photos so much easier. Digital cameras also handle low light better than film cameras, making an external strobe unneccessary to start out. I think the learning curve on digitals are smoother than with film cameras.

I'm a fan of Olympus digital cameras and housings but that's becasue I have one! Cannon also haas an excellent line in their S-3XX and S-4XX cameras and housings. I would suggest no less than a 3 megapixel camera. It can still make decent 8x10 enlargements with the right compression and are reasonable priced.

I agree with Dee. Digital camera is definitely an easier way to start underwater photography. Instant feedback makes learning curve a much faster process. You'll have some idea right away about what you take. If you try manual mode, I think it is invaluable. Sure in the past people learned that from using film before digital became available but now it is a lot less painful with digital. Beside it will also be easier for you to share your pictures with the rest of us on the board :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom