Thinking about upgrading ... but still want simplicity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all! I have already flooded a JVC (just didn't close the case properly before descending) and a SeaLife DC1200 (closed case with the wrist strap stuck in the opening). I now dive with a SeaLife MicroSD (it just doesn't open so I never have to worry about flooding it!) and get decent pictures with it. I use one dragon light with it and a macro lens. I get frustrated because I forget to take the danged macro lens off when shooting a regular pic, or the string that connects it to my rig sometimes gets stuck in the picture (lost a nice pic of a jelly because of that recently). Also, I totally botched a video of eagle rays that swam RIGHT AT ME because the camera flashes a blue dot followed by a red flashing dot when you turn on the video function; then the same sequence when you hit the shutter to record; then the same friggin' sequence when you turn off recording; and the entire time the counter is going so you really can't tell what is being recorded! I was so frustrated with this that I sat my buddy (husband) down and demonstrated so he would see that it's more than "I'm a moron"! So ...

I will turn 60 in July and would like to upgrade for my birthday. But ... I like having a little camera rig and I like the simplicity. I've been thinking about the TG-6 and am wondering how much I can accomplish without having to put it on a huge rig with lights extending out a foot and a half of both sides? I suppose I'm asking for too much, but I have to ask in case I'm not!

I look forward to hearing what you all have to offer. Thanks in advance.

People do not add lights and strobes just because we like to spend money and haul it all around or show off. Proper lights/strobes, depending on particular interest being video or photos, add a huge increase in capability and a whole new dimension to UW picture taking or video. But, if you can be satisfied with ambient lighting or a small video light for your macro subjects, the TG6 might be just right for you. That said, it too would benefit from good lights/strobes.

I am strictly a still photographer, I never shoot video unless it is on my piggy back GoPro Hero. You know, you could add a single Inon S2000 strobe for a compact macro rig. As well, you can have a ton of fun with no light or strobe but you will have to live within some rather confining limitations. Shallow and lots of blue and more blue-ishness to everything. Or green-ishness if the water is green.

I feel your frustration. I hope you find something. The TG(X) ought to put that old SL camera out to pasture. It should be much more responsive.

N

@Nemrod - I understand the need for the lights and strobes. I just want to cheat and get the image quality without the hassle or investment!! I also worry I'd break off an arm of my rig! My husband has a GoPro with some bigger lights and he gets frustrated that he can't get his rig into small place - i.e. to get good video of drummies who like to hide under shelves surrounded with coral outcropping. We're watching some TG-6 reviews and it looks really good.

I'm looking at the minimalist TG-6 setup.

Hi @Kimela

My wife has never used an UW camera though she is a quite competent diver. For her birthday, I bought her a TG-6 and the PT-059 housing. She had a chance to get used to the camera on a land-based vacation and became familiar with it. She will get a good chance to use it diving on a two week trip to Bonaire at the beginning of April. She'll start out with ambient light, we can always add strobes or video light if she wants to.

We'll see how it goes

i bought a Panasonic lumix ds7 it is good to 100ft used it for 8 dive trips so far and it takes great pics and vids with just built in flash and wont break the bank either

i bought a Panasonic lumix ds7 it is good to 100ft used it for 8 dive trips so far and it takes great pics and vids with just built in flash and wont break the bank either

Without a housing?

I`ve found that it`s 99% operator and 1% camera for most photography. Keep working with what you have and see what happens. It`s amazing what you can do after you get used to your set up.

I've had it all - Sony digicam in a Gates housing; Nikonos V with strobes; Olympus 3040 in an Ikelite with dual strobes; then a GoPro because I hated lugging everything. GoPro was ok, but I just caved and got a TG-6, PT-059 with dual YS-03 (TTL only) strobes and a Backscatter Air lens (ok for wide and macro - no swapping). I put over 30 dives on it a few weeks ago and with the STIX floats, it was a pleasure to use. Clipped it to my BC at 2 points for shore entries. Not tiny, but very manageable once you get into the routine.

I was looking for something that could make good prints and was simple to use - VERY happy with my choice and could not go back to the GoPro.

Check out this thread - New TG-6 Setup

I`ve found that it`s 99% operator and 1% camera for most photography. Keep working with what you have and see what happens. It`s amazing what you can do after you get used to your set up.

How true! This past trip, I did nothing but complain about my stupid camera for the first three days. Then suddenly the camera started taking some pretty darned good photos! I'm not sure what made it straighten up and fly right!! :wink: I'm the queen of 'operator error'. But I also suspect that my SeaLife just doesn't have the 'guts' to get the macro shots I'd like to get.

How true! This past trip, I did nothing but complain about my stupid camera for the first three days. Then suddenly the camera started taking some pretty darned good photos! I'm not sure what made it straighten up and fly right!! :wink: I'm the queen of 'operator error'. But I also suspect that my SeaLife just doesn't have the 'guts' to get the macro shots I'd like to get.

I shot crap for years before I broke down and took a simple short course geared to my camera. Made a world of difference. My problem is comparing my stuff to the pros that post on dedicated u/w photo sites. I`ll NEVER be that good. But occasionally I can come close. And with my DC 2000 I can sometimes get as good a result as those people that tote around those $6000 rigs. Plus, super macro is tough!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom