Thinking about going to Thailand to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fernie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Ok, I have never been to Thailand and just starting to think about going to there to dive. Can some give me some ideas on where to go..where to stay, average prices for diving with Nitrox? what else to do? currency to take..etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Fernie. Entire guidebooks have been written to answer the questions you pose, but very briefly:
• The best time for you to come to Thailand is when it's cold and snowy in Toronto!
• The best area to visit since you're coming halfway around the world is the Andaman Sea coast of the country.
• Phuket is the hub of Andaman Sea diving and the location of the main airport in the region, but you can also base yourself at some of the other islands off the coast or at some of the coastal cities.
• I recommend a liveaboard trip to the Simian and Surin islands national parks, and of course you'd stay on the boat for a trip like that.
• Nitrox is widely available here and the average price for Nitrox diving is about THB 250/tank. Some operators charge a little less, others a little more.
• Thailand is a country of rich cultural heritage and natural beauty. You can travel the country to sample the various regions or simply immerse yourself in one area.
• We use Thai Baht here, but ATM machines are available, so you can cash money as you need it, or you can use credit cards. I wouldn't bring stacks of currency along, or even traveler's cheques.

I agree with most that is in the last post, however I would certainly never go anywhere in Thailand without a reasonable ammount of cash.
Most of the 'smaller' businesses you will come into contact with dont have facilities to pay with cards, in the past I have even experienced hotels which dont have card payment facilities. Most food vendors, small shops and bars are the same. Many places that do have card payment facilities will charge you a premium for using them. Card fraud is prevelant in Thailand.
In my experience cash is number 1, however I am not saying dont use your cards at all, but dont rely on them 100%. Any currency you bring exchange it here rates will almost certainly be better than you will get at home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom