Thinking about diving Hogarthian

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello, I am a freediver seeking certification. I dread the bogged down diving setups and am looking for the most streamlined, simple setup so that I can go further. Is there place I can get the facts? Finding opinions and hearsay. Thank you.

Which Hollywood? If Florida I can recommend an excellent instructor that will meet your needs.

By the way GUE is DIR which while Hog isn't (still an excellent system)

Well, really, "go further," hmmmm, you don't need a wing or a backplate or any of that heavy and drag inducing equipment.

Brand new replica USD harness from 50s on a steel LP 72 with a hot rod DA Aqua Master, SeaVue spg

DSCF0174.jpg

Here is the DA with a modern Faber LP 85, note the Air Buddy, very simple and streamlined alternate air

DSCF0177.jpg

But if you insist, Phoenix Royal Aqua Master, the ultimate open circuit breathing machine on Hammerhead plate, aluminum 80, older Seatec hi viz wing (boats can see me on the surface--lol)

DSCF0182.jpg

N

alan_lee:
Sorry everyone, if this seems like a real dumbass (but genuine) question, but what is the difference between DIR and Hogarthian setup?

Cheers!

The DIR gear configuration can be considered a "subset" of Hogarthian diving, i.e. all DIR compliant rigs would be considered "Hogarthian", but not all Hogarthian rigs would be considered DIR.

DIR is of course much more than the the gear.

This may seem an odd comment, but if you are considering the DIR approach don't get too hung up on the exact gear config right now. If and when you take DIR-F your gear questions will all be answered.

You be better off to try to find local divers that embrace the DIR approach. Most are more than willing to help an interested diver. Getting fixated on whether or not a certain size bolt snap is "DIR" etc is not really helpful at this point.

Best of luck,

Tobin

"Hogarthian" refers to a type of equipment configuration.

DIR is a system of diving that combines a particular Hogarthian configuration with standard gases, standardized procedures and protocols, and strong commitment to team diving. It is much more than the sum of its parts.

kelliedivesdeep:
Hello, I am a freediver seeking certification. I dread the bogged down diving setups and am looking for the most streamlined, simple setup so that I can go further. Is there place I can get the facts? Finding opinions and hearsay. Thank you.

Anyway you go, you're going to have more gear to Scuba than you will freediving.

Duh, Ken...

That said, it depends on what your current objectives are. Mine? Mad bottom time (BT) in our cold local waters - so I have very comfortable exposure protection (read Drysuit) and dive very large tanks (read: 130s.) I move very slowly, very efficiently and therefore burn my gas very slowly and see tons of stuff on every dive.

Does all of this stuff Bog me down? I don't think so. I'm able to don and doff it on large and small boats with heaving decks and get to the gate quite well. I'm able to walk great distances with this stuff. Up hill... both ways (!) I'm able to negotiate rocky entries and exits smoothly, able to get in and out of pounding surf easily. And the Sealions I flip and roll and spin with while wearing all this stuff underwater don't seem to think I'm too bogged down to come over and play with me.

Streamlined or minimalist doesn't have to mean small, unsafe or retro.

My point is: after freediving, wearing a tank and stuff will seem like you're pushing a bus through the water. But do you want 3 or 4 minutes down there, or do you want 60, 70, 80, or 90 minutes down there?

Its well worth the trade off, in my mind.

All that said - some gear configurations are more streamline than others. Me and my team dive DIR. This means wrist gauges, no danging console, no fluffy BC, no Octo reg crossing our chest, and lots of other stuff that is totally unrelated to gear.

If you're in HWD, you need to go see my friends at Hollywood Divers. Some pretty skilled people that have their heads on straight teach there.

Come dive with us. PM me anytime. We dive locally several times a week.

---
Ken

cerich:
Which Hollywood? If Florida I can recommend an excellent instructor that will meet your needs.

She's in Kaleeefornya based on the info under her avatar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom