Thinking about a career change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I have a fair amount of snorkel experience, but have none with diving yet. I am looking to get my dive cert and maybe change to doing this for a career. I love the outdoors and the ocean and am tired of being cooped up in an office all day.

Any pointers/advice would be appreciated, since I am a noob.

Thank you!

There are many threads on this, you should search for them and read them.

Yours is not an unusual desire. As has been pointed out, there are several threads already on the board concerning this very topic. Yes, you should look them up and become acquainted with what they have to say.

Now, let's take a look at a few things that you should consider before taking the leap of faith of trying to become a scuba professional.

Do you mind making little to no money compared to what you are doing now?
Do long hours doing heavy physical labor bother you?
Are you in the best physical condition, so that you can place yourself in harm's way in order to keep someone from harm?

The list of questions could go on for quite some time, but I think you get the idea. In our minds, we often tend to idealize or romanticize what may be on the other side of the fence – or in this case, the water line. But, by all means, learn to dive and enjoy the underwater world is much as possible. Do it for a while and watch what the professionals have to do as part of their day on a regular basis to cater to you as a diver. Then decide if you yourself are willing to do the same.

When your an Instructor... its no longer about your dive! now that being said there's no better feeling in the world that being on your last open water checkout dive and seeing your students go from having trouble clearing there mask to becoming well trimmed and off the bottom enjoying there dive!

Many ups and downs in the industry... just be prepared for it and don't rush it, slow down and get all the training and experience you can!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom