Things could have been REAL bad for me Tuesday...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott T C

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Well, had a lovely night last night having my truck towed to the dealership for repairs.

Freaking driver side, (main line), break line blew out in a really odd location due to corrosion. The dealer said they rarely see issues in the location where it blew.

God was watching over me because it was already leaking earlier yesterday as this morning when the wife and I took the kids to school, I saw two distinct spots on the driveway where the break fluid was dripping. At least it waited till there was no traffic and I was almost at a complete stop turning into PA Water Rescue's driveway to finally rupture.

Things could have been VERY bad if it had blown on the highway, in town during rush hour, etc. Especially if it blew while taking the kids to school or picking them up in morning rush or lunch traffic!

God and his angles were watching over me and the kids for sure!

Thank you!

Yet another case of God watching over me!

11-2-12: Wife, kids and I were sitting at the table eating dinner. I had just finished eating when the power went out because our large generator shut off out of no where. (We were running the large one and a smaller backup one because of Sandy)

So I went to see why it shut down. Checked fuel...it was 1/2 full so no problems there. Didn't smell anything out of the ordinary, so...started it back up. About 60 seconds later, it shuts off again. So this time I am wondering if something happened with the new oil change that maybe it leaked out (though I didn't see any oil leaks)...so I went to turn off the fuel shut off valve and the entire fuel line broke free of the tank spilling raw gasoline all over my hand and onto a HOT engine. I reached in with the other hand to force the piece back in the tank (hole where it was) in hopes that the rubber would seal it enough to stop the flow of gas. It blocked it mostly, but there was still a gentle stream coming out. So at this point I had two gasoline soaked hands, an engine with gasoline all over it which had just shut down moments prior...while reaching to grab the mini Fire Extinguisher which I had near the gen sets. Popped out the safety pin with my thumb and knelt there with my left hand trying to plug the dripping gas while my right (still soaked in gas) holding the Extinguisher at the ready.

Well it never ignited thank the lord...so I flipped the gen up on its back side so the fuel would keep away from the hole where the fuel line went into the tank.

Things could have been VERY VERY bad had that line ruptured while we were sleeping! My kids sleep in the back side of the house on the upper floor. The two generators and about 20 gallons of extra fuel were two floors below them on the lower deck outside.

God and his angles at work again keeping me (and my kids/family) safe so I can help keep others safe in return. I am a firm believer of this at this point! There is a bigger purpose in life for me...he has me here for a reason and it obviously isn't my time to check out yet!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom