Things are about to get easier for Canadians hdg to Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoag

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Things are about to get easier for Canadians heading to Mexico. An 'ultra-low cost" airline, Flair just announced that it will begin operating non-stop flights to Cancun (CUN) from Ottawa (YOW) and Kitchener Waterloo (the other KW :D) (YKF) and to Cabo (SJD) from Abbotsford (YXX), Vancouver (YVR) and Edmonton (YEG).

The big advantage of this is that if we take one of these flights, we won't have to connect in the US, deal with US Customs or the TSA. True, because one of the destinations is Cancun and not Cozumel, it means that those who take this flight would have to do the "Bag Drag" to the ferry and across the channel, but the convenience of a non-stop can not be overlooked. Fares start at $129CAD (about $100USD) each way, but it is an ultra-low cost airline, so just about everything comes at an additional cost.

At this time, I honestly don't know if these flights will be operating all year, or if they will be seasonal, but I do know that while they last, flights to Cancun just became very easy! (I live about a 5-10 minute drive from YKF.) After all, how bad can the "bag drag over to Coz be?

I like westjet direct yvr to cun on the Friday red eye and depart 5 pm cun to yvr on a Sunday. Max dive time based on arrival and departure times. I go to cave dive, if i was fish diving I might plan differently.

Back
Top Bottom