thieves raid 350-year-old protected London ship wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, to be honest NW-G_D, I don't see much similarity between an historical artefact with a protection order and a busted car... I mean, once the local police or state dive team have retrieved the remains for Identification and a proper burial, the car is nothing special. A year is plenty of time for the estates executor or the family of the people in it to have contracted a salvage company to recover it if they wanted the car.

After 70 years, there are no recoverable remains ... some bits of bone and cloth, barely adequate for DNA analysis. The car was designated a grave site ... and the people who took pieces of it were grave robbers.

Newsvine - Diving into a 72 Year-Old Mystery - An Alpine Lake Finally Gives Up its Secrets

Newsvine - RETURN TO THE MYSTERY - The Warren Case and Lake Crescent, Part 2

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A wreck can be sold.

Back in the mid 80s I worked for a salvage company that bought WWI wrecks from Lloyds after a lot of research on the wrecks, which were sunk off the coast of Ireland. The wrecks had been bringing tin ore from Malaya (Now Malaysia).

We had sat divers using airlifts to bring the ore up on to containers on the deck of the DSV, fun days.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to Underwater Treasures..

After 70 years, there are no recoverable remains ... some bits of bone and cloth, barely adequate for DNA analysis. The car was designated a grave site ... and the people who took pieces of it were grave robbers.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

AH, that is a bit different, I was thinking more like a car gone for 2-3 years, not 72.

Back
Top Bottom