They're Big! They're Blue! And they're Back! Blue whales, Sept 7, 2011, Redondo CA.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HBDiveGirl

Contributor
Reaction score
Underwater SoCal. There's no place I'd rather be
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My brother and I had a wonderful encounter with blue whales a few miles outside of King Harbor in Redondo Beach, CA.

Click HERE for the full report from our Tuesday September 7, 2011 outing.

Magnificent animals, even more so when one is sitting exactly at the water line in a silent kayak!!!

~~~~~
Claudette

P.S. My first time kayaking with the blue whales was September last year (2010).
The report of that encounter is at THIS LINK.

Last edited:
Did you ask them why they're so blue?

Because they're the whale version of the Blue Man Group. They have a bunch of their whale songs released on CD and iTunes. You might be able to them as a cell phone ring tone also. :D

Did you ask them why they're so blue?

Because the water is cold down here... you remember that, don't you (tee hee).

Unfortunately two of my friends had a completely different type of blue whale encounter a few weeks ago. They were heading out to a dive site in a fast dive boat when a blue whale surfaced right in front of them. They struck the whale and flew over it, causing $32,000 worth of damage to the drive train. Apparently the whale was not injured in the process.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom