They can't be serious -ACT NOW!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTravlin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Please read this small article about a proposed underwater restaurant and theme park to be located in front of the Villablanca Hotel.

Cozumel Insider - Cozumel News - Local Island News in English - Cozumel Insider

Has anyone heard about this from other sources? Does anyone know if this is true and who is behind it?

If it is true, I believe it is a horrible idea and everyone here who loves Cozumel should mobilize to let the authorities there know that one of their major customer groups is adamantly opposed to such a plan. Shore diving along Villablanca is very popular and I just did one of my best night dives ever on Villablanca wall in December. They say it will be done in an environmentally friendly manner but I just don't see how that's possible. It can't be good for the reef no matter how well they plan it.

I realize Cozumel has had a tough year or two and needs the tourist business to improve and grow but don't believe this is the right way to go about it. I can't imagine allowing a development of this type in the water there much less anywhere in Cozumel.

It would be great if some island locals could shed light on this issue and possibly post contact info here so that concerned SBer's can voice there opinions to the proper authorities.

It sounds like quite an undertaking. Being that it is proposed as inside the marine park, I'm sure it will not be allowed unless it is seriously environmental. It certainly cant be as detrimental as cruise ship piers and those were allowed. I guess we shall see if this is a pie in the sky project (as most are) or a real project. Being a GC, I can tell you it would not be a game to build such a structure. Air quality, supply delivery, hurricane resistance, anchoring etc....a project like this one would cost a pretty penny to be sure.

Please read this small article about a proposed underwater restaurant and theme park to be located in front of the Villablanca Hotel.

Cozumel Insider - Cozumel News - Local Island News in English - Cozumel Insider

Has anyone heard about this from other sources? Does anyone know if this is true and who is behind it?

If it is true, I believe it is a horrible idea and everyone here who loves Cozumel should mobilize to let the authorities there know that one of their major customer groups is adamantly opposed to such a plan. Shore diving along Villablanca is very popular and I just did one of my best night dives ever on Villablanca wall in December. They say it will be done in an environmentally friendly manner but I just don't see how that's possible. It can't be good for the reef no matter how well they plan it.

I realize Cozumel has had a tough year or two and needs the tourist business to improve and grow but don't believe this is the right way to go about it. I can't imagine allowing a development of this type in the water there much less anywhere in Cozumel.

It would be great if some island locals could shed light on this issue and possibly post contact info here so that concerned SBer's can voice there opinions to the proper authorities.

"Investors have expressed interest" - that means nothing at all and IF approved is still years down the pipeline! I don't see this ever being approved however and their statement of work beginning in early 2010 is delusional thinking! I wouldn't be worried about this materializing!

It's actually not within marine park boundaries at this time, but that area is close to becoming part of the marine park!

Sounds really cool! I would go to see it! I don't see a problem it will be an artificial reef and the fish can watch us eat! :wink:

Underwater Restaurant
Two investors have expressed an interest in developing a theme park and underwater restaurant that would comply with environmental and municipal approval. This could be another attraction to foreign tourists. The increasingly competitive tourist market brings with it the commitment to improve infrastructure and services, but also requires diversification to make Cozumel an attractive destination. Rumor has it that the design might be a whale, with diners entering the mouth to be “swallowed” with the stomach actually being the dining room. The project would be in front of the Villablanca Hotel, and work might start at the beginning of 2010.

Considering how long it takes to finish some of the land-based project in Cozumel, and keeping in mind how many things are proposed and said to happen and never get off the ground, who knows if this will even go anywhere. Then there are all the safety issues and maintenance this place will have to consider... Have they really vetted all that out and do they have the money and resources needed long-term?

I hate to see reef destroyed anywhere for something like this, but we don't live there and don't rely on tourism to the island for our livelihood. This would be a good draw for daytrippers from the mainland (who may see the island and decide to stay there on their next trip), cruise passengers and it gives non-diving land-based vacationers another interesting option too. I think it's easy for all of us to say let's tell "them" that we don't want something, but unless we're willing and able to provide the additional tourist revenue this or any other new venture could provide, should we have any say in what they do with their island?

IF it starts to look like it has even a chance of getting off the ground, I'm sure that some of the environmental NGO's that work in the area (in Cozumel and mainland Q.Roo) will take action and scrutinize the immediate and long-term impact this could have on the reef and shoreline. There are lots of things that get talked about and never see the light of day... last year there was the Trump development and a land-based theme park...

A few things you can do to help protect the reefs for the future - support NGO's that work in the area, support marine parks and MPAs, and do your part to help educate your fellow tourists and divers about good stewardship practices when they are in and around the ocean, and at home. :wink: If we can collectively make a change in how people feel about the world's coral reefs then projects like this wouldn't even get proposed.

Sounds really cool! I would go to see it! I don't see a problem it will be an artificial reef and the fish can watch us eat! :wink:
They can watch people eat their family and friends... and fish mommies can use it as an example for their children as to why it's so important to stay within the marine park boundaries. Leave the park and you could end up on a plate. :shocked2:

I agree with Christi.....lot's of things are proposed, few are carried out.

BillinDenver I agree with your post except that if there is enough money involved anything can happen. After seeing them build the Puerta Maya pier right on top of a reef I am pretty sure that anything no matter how environmentally disasteous it is can be accomplished with a big enough kick back.

IMHO whatever any outsiders think of this project, nor how much they protest.....it will have zero effect on the outcome of any project that may or may not take place.

IMHO whatever any outsiders think of this project, nor how much they protest.....it will have zero effect on the outcome of any project that may or may not take place.
That's true of many Caribbean tourist destinations. When tourism is one of (or the main) source of income for an island, if potential future earnings are deemed to be great enough, there always seems to be a way to work around or change "the rules" to suit the project.

If this one ever gets past the talking stage, you just have to hope they have really good engineers and construction and take all potential safety issues very seriously.

I agree with Christi.....lot's of things are proposed, few are carried out.

BillinDenver I agree with your post except that if there is enough money involved anything can happen. After seeing them build the Puerta Maya pier right on top of a reef I am pretty sure that anything no matter how environmentally disasteous it is can be accomplished with a big enough kick back.

Money speaks loudly everywhere and Cozumel is no different in that respect. I do hope this all turns out to be pie in the sky and nothing ever comes of it.

I certainly have no right to tell the Cozumelenos what to do with their island but the reefs are what put them on the map, so to speak, and I can only hope they remember that as they go forward.

Back
Top Bottom