Thermolution Red Grade Ultra heated Drysuit Undergarment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I just ordered a Thermolution Red Grade Ultra heated drysuit undergarment. Anyone used one before? A vast majority of my diving is in a deep quarry (42 degrees). would use it for ascent & decompression stages only. Just would like some opinions on it.

they're no real different than any of the motorcycle vests on the market. it's carbon fiber based so you have to be really careful about folding it since it is brittle and will snap which can cause shorts, so don't do that. The panels are on the back which isn't the ideal place for heating, but it's better than nothing. Chest panels are much more efficient.

For drysuit use, I would personally avoid it, but it's one of the only things on the market for wetsuit use unfortunately.

Personally? I would have bought the UWLD small battery pack, with the snazzy drysuit inflator bulkhead, and the vest controller for $1600 which gives you 5 heat settings, and a higher quality battery pack, also compatible with can lights. I would have added the Exo2 vest that is on their site for $200 if drysuit use only, or if for wetsuit use, purchased the UTD wetsuit wrap for $300 which are made with the same panels

The Add Helium guys rave about the Thermolutions, and I think did some video or blog reviews about them.

Any active heating is better than passive though

The particular suit I ordered is strictly for drysuit, not wet suit. I wanted a little more coverage than just the upper core (the Red Ultra covers the thighs also.

fair enough, i think chest coverage does more than back/thigh coverage combined, but the woven carbon fiber is what really turns me off to that product and most all of the others on the market

Not the red, but I've owned the Thermalution yellow since Nov 2013 and love it. Today was 46F at depth and I had it on setting 1 after 30 min. It's great in the winter on longer dives.

Got my Thermolution suit in the other day. Be aware,... the sizing for them is a bit weird. I'm female, 5'6" & 180 lbs. I had to order the XXL (most manufacturers I wear LG or an XL). Thankfully I had my custom measurements from my drysuit with me,.. that helped a bunch. I have tried on the suit,... a little long n the arms & legs, but fits around me fine. I have not yet had it underwater & am looking forward to it soon. The instructions are a bit confusing, as on 1 page it says the red series is for both wet & dry suits, yet another page says that the Red Ultra is drysuit only. There is also no real idea of what to do in the event of a drysuit flood,... I plan to wear this suit under my normal undergarments. I'm sure I'll be using it quite a bit at the bottom of the local quarry (42 degrees).

Just an fyi update on the yellow. There are currently 3 versions out there. Gen 1 like mine which had a controller that contains a battery that is not user serviceable. When the battery goes, the whole thing goes back to the factory for a new controller (rechargeable) that must be paired to the vest (that's why everything goes back).

Then came gen 2, or the first gen rechargeable controller. Came with a rather large charging pad (induction charging) and an optional usb-type charger (you can use a phone usb charger). Finding the charging "sweet spot" on these can be a challenge, and the one my buddy has just lost it's ability to charge, so it's gone back to the factory.

Finally I see what I'd call gen 3, or the second gen rechargeable controller. A much smaller charging pad with a definite hollow to fit the controller.

I imagine once my controller battery goes (I have gen 1) mine will get one of the rechargeable ones. I hope it goes in the summer so I don't care if it takes months for service. Canadians seem to get hosed on any "back to the factory" service for any dive gear, so months is the order of the day for us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom