Thermo Dual Manifold with Isolation Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaHump

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was advised not to get the dive rite Manifold my other option is the Thermo Dual Manifold with Isolation Valve what do you guys know about this.

AquaHump:
I do not know, that is why I asked. if that is the case then I do not want it.
There is only one reason I know of not to get a Dive Rite manifold ... and it's an easily addressable situation.

That has to do with the accessibility of the burst disks. With other manifolds, the burst disks can be accessed/changed with a standard box wrench. With DR manifolds, they are recessed inside a housing that requires the use of a nut driver or socket ... and many standard ones are too thick to fit inside the housing, so you have to go "shopping" for the right tool and keep it in your Save-a-Dive kit.

That assumes that you're inclined to make a field replacement of a burst disk (or that you don't trust your LDS to have the appropriate tool).

Otherwise, the DR manifold seems like a pretty good piece of gear to me ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I would have asked the same question, starting with the person that gave you the advice. My paranoid guess is that he doesn't carry DiveRite equipment...

In my experience, both in the water and on the repair bench, the DiveRite manifolds are just fine. If anything, some folks have issues with the Thermo manifolds because of the short "throw" on the valve stem, which can create issues with adabiatic compression in high O2 mixes, and because they don't like the large knobs.

Full disclosure: I own something like 25 tanks (including four sets of doubles) and have Thermo valves on almost all of them. I like the short throw and the large knobs, but maybe that's just me. Through the vagaries of the universe, none of my valves are DiveRite, but I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

Sorry you asked, ain't 'cha? :wink:

NWGratefulDiver:
There is only one reason I know of not to get a Dive Rite manifold ... and it's an easily addressable situation.

That has to do with the accessibility of the burst disks. With other manifolds, the burst disks can be accessed/changed with a standard box wrench. With DR manifolds, they are recessed inside a housing that requires the use of a nut driver or socket ... and many standard ones are too thick to fit inside the housing, so you have to go "shopping" for the right tool and keep it in your Save-a-Dive kit.

That assumes that you're inclined to make a field replacement of a burst disk (or that you don't trust your LDS to have the appropriate tool).

Otherwise, the DR manifold seems like a pretty good piece of gear to me ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I am brand new to hogarthian diving and am gearing as my instrctor told me and he was clear in the DR manifold issue. He said that they have had some problems and to not go with DR or OMS I am not sure as to the exact reson but the man has not been wrong yet. So, why doubt him now.

reefraff:
I would have asked the same question, starting with the person that gave you the advice. My paranoid guess is that he doesn't carry DiveRite equipment...

In my experience, both in the water and on the repair bench, the DiveRite manifolds are just fine. If anything, some folks have issues with the Thermo manifolds because of the short "throw" on the valve stem, which can create issues with adabiatic compression in high O2 mixes, and because they don't like the large knobs.

Full disclosure: I own something like 25 tanks (including four sets of doubles) and have Thermo valves on almost all of them. I like the short throw and the large knobs, but maybe that's just me. Through the vagaries of the universe, none of my valves are DiveRite, but I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

Sorry you asked, ain't 'cha? :wink:
I am not sorry one bit. This is what I need. As to the selling DR issue that is wrong he is a DR user in all other aspects of his gear ( regs, plate and wings) he said to go with housion (I know I did not spell that right) maybe that will help the thread.

What you should do is ask him to explain the reasoning behind the problems (with both DR and OMS) ..... if it makes perfect sense and has proper validity you can believe him otherwise look somewhere else for answers and specs. After all, he can base his judgement on personal preference or on kick-backs from a LDS, better yet be influenced by some silly agency that claims they know everything about diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom