thermal protection for O'ahu in Dec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crush

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Quick question - I will be diving O'oahu in Dec - what are the water temperatures? I would like to shore dive as well as boat dive, but I have heard that the surf might grind me up.

My choices for protection are:
  • 3 mm x 2-piece wetsuit
  • 7 mm x 2-piece wetsuit
  • DUI TLS-350 drysuit (trilaminate, variable undergarments)

Will my drysuit get shredded on shore entries? I have reinforced knees...

Haven't got my log book at hand, but if I recall correctly, water temperatures during the winter are in the mid 70s. I don't know how easily you get cold - these things vary so much from person to person, of course - but I'm usually toasty in a 5mm. However, I know folks that wear 7mm suits (plus additional protection via a hooded vest) in winter, especially dive professionals that make multiple dives a day for consecutive days. I'm sure that if you posed this question on the Hawaii Ohana section of SB, you'd get lots of different answers!

If you're coming to Oahu in December, your shore diving options will be limited to the south and leeward (west) sides of the island. You'd get ground to a pulp if you went to the north shore at that time of year, but the west side is pretty calm year-round, and the south side is at its best in the winter, and fairly accessible...I made my first south side shore dive of the season about a month ago. Some south side shore-diving sites involve a bit of a scramble to and from the water, so I wouldn't recommend a drysuit, even with reinforced knees. Moreover, you'll be sweating like a horse on the way down to the water - it's still pretty warm topside! - which is another argument in favor of diving wet.

As gorgeous as the south side shore dives are, entrance and exits can be a bit tricky at some places, so I really recommend you dive with a guide. Do a quick search of the Hawaii Ohana section of SB, and you'll find a few names. Quite a few of of them are active SB posters, so you can private message them directly, if you wish.

Have a lovely trip. You're coming at a great time - the humpback whales will be here in full force, so expect your dives to be accompanied by whale song.

Thanks, vinegarbiscuit. It would "crush" me to have a nice drysuit shredded in surf + rocks. I think it will be the wetsuit for me.

I am a pretty cold-tolerant person, so I might bring my 7mm top + 3 mm bottom + gloves but no hood.

I have never dived near whales - sounds awesome.

The 3mm will be fine. I used a 5mm full and was really warm. Have a great trip.

I think a 3mm would be fine. 5mm if you tend to get cold. I think a 7mm or drysuit are overkill. Water was 77 degrees this weekend.

When I dive in Hawaii in the winter months, I'm in a 7mm. :cold:

Do you get cold easily?

When I converted 76 F to 26 C I was pretty shocked. I think that I should be OK in a 3 mil two-piece suit unless there are some crazy temperature drops with depth that I am not anticipating...

Thanks, all.

Do you get cold easily?

When I converted 76 F to 26 C I was pretty shocked. I think that I should be OK in a 3 mil two-piece suit unless there are some crazy temperature drops with depth that I am not anticipating...

Thanks, all.

I think a lot has to do with individual tolerance (and yes, I do get cold fairly easily), and the rest has to do with the water temperature you're accustomed to. I'm used to water in the low 80's for which I wear a 3mm, and usually sometime during the 3rd dive of the day I'm getting chilled underwater. No way would I be happy in water in the mid-70's in a 3mm, even on the first dive.

It's hard to tell from your profile photo, but it looks like you might be a big guy, and big guys tend not to feel cold as quickly as women, with our smaller bodies, do. And based on your location, you're used to cold water, so the increase in temperature will make it feel super comfy, whereas for me Hawaii has always meant cooler water temperatures. In summertime in Hawaii I wear a 5mm and am comfortable; in winter I wear a 7, and it's definitely NOT "overkill" for me. Everybody's different, and you need to make an assessment based on your own physique and tolerance for cold.

Enjoy Hawaii! I'll be there in late November to visit family, but I won't be diving this time.

And based on your location, you're used to cold water, so the increase in temperature will make it feel super comfy, whereas for me Hawaii has always meant cooler water temperatures.

Last weekend I was diving water 49-52F - it was great to have the water so warm that my face didn't burn when I immersed it, and that the water leaking into my hood didn't shock me. As you might have guessed, I was diving dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom