There are no words!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"his hand was paralyzed for 4 hours" Really?

"his hand was paralyzed for 4 hours" Really?

Who's going to refute him? I'm assuming that there were witnesses diving with him that day.

If you hold your hand out 3', ops 1 meter in front of you, and it is paralyzed for 4 hours, why are you still alive?

Who's going to refute him? I'm assuming that there were witnesses diving with him that day.

I absolutely believe it. In a very reductive nutshell, a decibel measurement (dB) expresses the acoustic energy of a sound. Importantly, decibels are logarithmic and increase in orders of magnitude (log10).

Human speech is usually 40-60 dB.

A rock concert is going to be at least 100 dB.

The Space Shuttle blast-off produces 160 dB.

The eruption of Krakatoa in 1883 - heard around the world - was 180 dB.

The click of a sperm whale can reach 236 dB.

That is an unbelievable amount of energy turned into vibrations. Run it through the nerves in your hands? Paralyzing.

Does the extended hand absorb all of the dB's?

My impression from the story is that the freediver reached out and was in physical contact during the click, so the vibrations were conducted through him.

If you hold your hand out 3', ops 1 meter in front of you, and it is paralyzed for 4 hours, why are you still alive?

He did say that it was a new area of research. Sketchy is the correct term. So that when they learn to stop putting their arms out, then the paralyzing forces can be placed right against the researcher's torso. Seems like it should be mostly okay. When you check the dive boat for an AED. Verify that they paid extra for the 4.5 hour battery though.

Very interesting video. Thank you for sharing that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom