Therapists Who Dive ...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello! A colleague and I started a Facebook group called TWD (Therapists Who Dive) and are looking for other therapists (counselors) who may be interested. The purpose of the group is to share our love of diving, how we incorporate the lessons learned diving into our work, and maybe someday put together a dive trip combined with an opportunity to earn CEUs. If you're interested please come find us on Facebook. The name of the group is "TWD (Therapists Who Dive)". If you can't find it email me at kskmft@gmail.com and I'll find a way to find you.

Thanks to the moderators for giving me the green light to post this here. :)

Thanks! We're up to 18 in our FB group. Hoping to keep growing and growing. :)

I think you might have to talk about that a bit first.

I just see a group of divers pulling their masks down past the bridge of their noses, looking at me over the top of the lens and asking, "what do YOU think that means?"

All kidding aside, I hope you guys put your group together. I have a name suggestion...

Group Therapists - Going Deep

She is in school in Minneapolis IIRC getting her degree in something thereputic.

Found it:
As some of you already know, I started a graduate program in MN last January (Counseling for Co-Occurring Disorders which is addiction and mental health counseling). I have completed the first year of my program online and with a few trips to MN for classroom and residency.

She is in school in Minneapolis IIRC getting her degree in something thereputic.

Found it:

oh, right.

I just see a group of divers pulling their masks down past the bridge of their noses, looking at me over the top of the lens and asking, "what do YOU think that means?"

All kidding aside, I hope you guys put your group together. I have a name suggestion...

Group Therapists - Going Deep

I love this! Might even add "and how does that make you feel?" (my all time most hated therapist quote!). If you want to laugh with a therapist making fun of therapists, look up the YouTube video "**** social workers say". Hilarious!

We've created TWD for a couple of reasons. The first is our love of diving. The second is to see if we can put together a psychotherapy training/dive trip to write off the expenses - learn something for our work and get in some awesome dives! Within the group we are finding many of us have a similar focus in our practices.

Some of the things that are important in scuba are things we use nearly every day in our work - mindfulness; trust building with partner/buddy; safety and connection; self confidence/efficacy; trusting your gut; and more. I do a lot of trauma work and when we're doing the deep, difficult work (processing abuse, neglect, etc) it's hard to stay with those feelings so I often talk about doing the 'deep dive'. I did some trauma work with a diver once (the trauma was not dive related) and the shared knowledge of diving opened up a lot of avenues for our work.

Btw, I'm not the person in Minnesota (I'm in St Louis).

Anyway, don't want to bore anyone with more therapy talk, but I've learned so much from scuba that I use in my daily life and in my work. It's truly been life changing for me. Scubaboard has been a great resource.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom