Theme for Sept 13-19: ...Fish ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
This week are looking for the male, female and juvis of a species and tell us a little bit about the fish. It's OK if they are not in the same picture and if you get the info off the net.
Here we have a male and female Spotted Boxfish
Image by justleesa (Copyright) posted at ScubaGallery

Image by justleesa (Copyright) posted at ScubaGallery

hoover:
Box fishes, as their name implies are completely encased in rigid armor plate; only their fins, eyes and mouths are movable. Sometimes called Trunkfishes, they are immediately recognizable by their shape. They rely in part on poisonous qualities to deter predators.
Females are black, densely covered with white spots. The colorful males have dark blue sides with black spots and markings; their tops are black with white spots; their heads and tails are adorned with gold trim. Everywhere but Hawai'i males have gold spots on the side. Laking these the Hawaiian population is regarded as a subspecies, camurum. Boxfishes are common in shallows where the water is calm.

Hey, I can play this one :wink:

Black Faced Blennies.

The male - in bright yellow breeding colours, and the biege/brown female.

They often rest upside down on the underside of boulders (the photo of the male has actually been rotated 90 degrees clockwise, so that it looks "right" but in fact when the shot was taken, I was on my back shooting upwards).

These blennies are fairly rare in the UK but the Channel Islands has a good population, if you know where to look.

black-faced-blenny-male2.jpg

blackfaced-blenny-female-4.jpg

Here's an easy one from the Caribbean.

The French Angel, Pomacanthus paru, is often seen roaming the reef in pairs, picking at various sponges and sea fans. Male and female adults look the same. The juvenile inhabits shallower areas as a cleaner and is dark with yellow bars.

Photos taken in Curacao with an Olympus C-5050Z and Inon D180 strobe.

32676French_Angel_1.jpg

32676French_Angel_3.jpg

32676Juvenile_french_angel.jpg

How about some SoCal fish?

In the kelp, you often see schools of blacksmith:

IMAG0035.sized.jpg

But I like them best in their juvenile phase, when they have pretty yellow tails. The REALLY tiny ones are hard to photograph; here's a slightly older one:

IMAG0026.sized.jpg

Here's some classic west coast family pics, wolf eels. They pair up and make a home. That's the wife on the left and the husband on the right. What a handsome couple. The second pic is a junvenile wolfie.

Steve B

I'm packing up to spend a couple nights at work due to the hurricane. This is a quick post from memory so if the fish ID gurus need to chime in, please do. These are male and female pearly razorfish. I believe the male has the spot on the side. Sorry, no more info from my brain. See you after the storm!

Image by SeaYoda (Copyright) posted at ScubaGallery

Image by SeaYoda (Copyright) posted at ScubaGallery

I love this theme! Sorry I have nothing to offer...most of my pics are still on CD's in a less than ideal cataloging system! I just don;t have time to search through them right now. :06:

Hey, how do I post embedded images Chippy? I have some to share!!

Terry

Terry....look ---->HERE

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom