Theme 29 Jun - 05 Jul: Almost, so very close, if only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
You know the shots I'm talking about!! Don't be shy - let's see those "would have been so great..." images:

Almost a Parrotfish
parrotred1.jpg

Hmmm, this category was suggested by a lot of people but where are the shots??

How about thinking about it as not only bits cut off, but "if only I'd been closer" "if only he posed" "If only the second guy was facing me, too" "if only I'd been lower" "great pose, but too blue" "neat creature but too much backscatter" etc...

Here's another example of mine...if only I'd been closer!

I got this shot off Ft. Lauderdale. A Balloonfish sitting in a barrel sponge.

It took me quite a while after I got back to figure out what I was taking a picture of.

140486.jpg

It's an aerial view of a Smooth Trunkfish.

Three swings and a miss. Dang shutter lag. :p
Now, if only #3 had been in focus.

Here's almost a shark from Bora Bora. Shutter lag #$%&@

In Sipadan, on one of my first dives with a camera, I patiently edged closer to this whitetip with my Nikonos V and kit 35mm lens (no autofocus, no through-the-lens preview). I hadn't quite gotten the knack of estimating lens-to-subject distance and got too close. Note the excellent focus on the dorsal and tail fins, the blurry face, and the other shark obligingly filling in the background. I'm still waiting for that shot to set up again.

reef_whitetip_sipadan1.jpg

I waited and waited for the eel to open its mouth, and for the cleaner shrimp to go into the eel's mouth, and finally it did... but the shot didn't came out the way I wish it had:
IMG_3632.JPG

Waited forever for the squat lobster to move out of the feather star... when it did, ... the shutter didn't shut at the right moment:
IMG_3648.JPG

These three came from one dive. There are many more from the same dive - that's pretty much the usual for me. My rule is shoot a lot keep a little :D.

The first one I tried to get a pic of the fish in back yet an intruder zoomed by.

The second one the burrfish had one eye on me and one behind him.

The third was a try at supermacro with flash in slave mode - too little light in front and cut off part of the anemone while trying to get it out of the lens shadow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom