The Y-valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Noviz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi... I dive single AL80 (or if I forget to fill the 80, Steel-72). I rarely dive deep (usually 50 ft., never more than 80), and I always dive cold... Dutch, Rockaway, Fort Wetherill, like that.)

So.. I own 2 regs.. 1.) a Dacor Eagle set that I bought from a friend for cheap, and which works great. But it's a pistom style and the octo breathes a little wet. 2.) A Mares MR12, but it has no console, only a pressure gauge.

So the question is: Should I get a Y-valve and use the MR12 as the primary on one post, and the Dacor, console, and inflator on the other post? It seems to me that this is a good idea because it gives me some additional redundancy, it lets me breath the better reg without taking the Dacor set apart (I would remove the octo and replace it if I have to use a tank without the Y or H setup.)

Opinions? :D

My .02....
Redundancy is a good thing if it does not overly complicate your situation. The DIR people seem to try to disuade people from the H/Y valve configuration because it's too much gear to mess with efficiently in an emergency situation and it's harder to reach than the usual doubles manifold with an isolation valve. That said, I have 2 of my independent tanks set up with H-valves. I set my single tanks up for OW dives but could still use my redundant 1st stages from my doubles rig. I've found that the H-valve is easier to keep touch oriented on than a Y-valve, but that could be because I'm more accustomed to the H. I did find that my 7' long hose was just long enough to be a real nuisance and switched to a 6' hose on my primary/donor 2nd stage. I think the DIR thoery is sound-it definitely takes alot more practice to efficiently manage H/Y valves, but I do like my rig. If you route an inflator hose to your drysuit from one 1st and the inflator hose from your BC to the other 1st, you also buy your self some redundancy in your buoyancy as well.

I do buy into the idea that your back up reg should perform every bit as well as your primary. Having the poorer performing gear to rely on in a bad situation will only compound the problem.

I'm not preaching any gospels here. Just one way of many that works for me.

Cheers----Chris

I use Y valve with two regs, and know several other people who dive single tanks with similar setups.

My right post regulator is a Scubapro MK25, the left MK2+ (simple and reliable), the following setup is somewhat of a standard:
- right post - BCD
- left post - SPG/Console, drysuit (if you have it)

This does give you additional redundancy then the standard octo, but also introduces another possible point of failure, so you should know how to handle it, in case it happens. No problems there usually, just make sure your valves are reachable when underwater, in case you need to reach them. Also you should try at least at home to reach them and shut one of them just to understand the procedure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom