The weirdest things I ever ate were...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to eat vegemite and chocolate hail sandwiches as a kid. But I'm not real keen on chocolate these days.

Tried witchetty grubs. Cooked, don't think I could handle raw. Wasn't too bad with green ant tea.

A delicacy in Malaysia is yu sheng salad. Eaten at Chinese New Year and contains jellyfish. Didn't care for it much - not bad, just not much flavour.

The weirdest dish I've seen was in a Chinese restuarant in Terrenganu. Top of the menu was golden shower soup. I had the chicken.

When I was in Thailand we would go out, and do a follow the leader type of game after a few drinks. One night we had a medley of scorpion, earthworms, grasshoppers, and frogs. I will say the frogs were tasty.

fermented shark
scorched then boiled sheaphead
seal meat
seal fat
pickled seal fins
fermented fish
icelandic haggis
puffin
whale meat (many diffrent types)
horse
raw crab eggs
raw herring
surstromer herring some swedish herring stuff most people tyhrow up when the can is opened
ant sallad tasted really good (thailand)
somesort of live larva (creepy but tasted sweet and jusy thailand)
deepfried water beatles
snake soup
deepfried grashoppers
roasted scorpion
some small fat beetles in thailand they peeled of the shell and put them in the soup tasted like nuts

cant remember more stuff at the moment

Live raw squid.

The tentacles were something to deal with, the suction cups kept attaching to everything including in the inside of my mouth.

Oh, and I had "monkey on a stick" in the Philippines.

Last edited:
Lets see:
In Alaska
Muktuk (whale blubber), Moose nose stew, Stink Heads (Salmon heads fermented like kimchee)

In Mongolia
Fermented Mares Milk, Groundhog roasted with a blow torch, horse milk cheese curds

In Afghanistan (After getting tired of MREs)
Pidgen, Cobra, rats

Beaver tail
Snake (Yes it doe taste like chicken)
elk, My fav for many years
moose
deer
bear, Personal fav
alligator
shark
Snails
Seal - GAG
Tongue
Heart
Pheasant
Chicken hearts.

I grew up on this stuff. I can probably add to the list yet.

Gator, croc, ostrich, zebra, dog, kudu, springbok, oryx. Almost had the bat soup in palau

Back
Top Bottom