The V Weight Flip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saying

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So in an effort to lose the weightbelt altogether with some AL80s I got me a V Weight.

I figured, "Eh, so it gets me a little heavy" (about 4 lbs heavy) the loss of belt, I thought was worth it.

Then I get in the water and I fight the trim the entire time. After a few minutes I decide to just hold still and see what the hell this weight wants to do.

Turns out, what it wants to do is get me on my back, and fast. But not to just turtle over to one side or the other... oh no. It wants to flip me headfirst like I'm doing a summersault before leaving me staring up at the surface.

Did I misunderstand? Was the V weight supposed to be strapped to my legs or something? Or is it just a case of drastic overweighting?

Can you give us some more details? Are you diving wet or dry? What is your weight total and how do you have it rigged? What BP are you using? Which wing? Which holes in the wing are you using? How much does your V-weight weigh? Where did you place your V-weight...is it directly behind your wing or did you put it on the far side of the bands? A lot of V-weights have a long and short end. Did you put the long end up...pointing over your head or the long end down...pointing towards your feet? Maybe a pic of your rig would help?

Stephen

Also... you don't have to keep those four extra pounds. You can trim that V-weight down with a saw.

Try a center of gravity drill. The position you hold your legs will not be the same for all rigs, but you should be able to compensate with leg positions for all sorts of strange placements of weight on your rig.

Also v-weights come in various sizes, ranging from 4 to 11+ pounds.

are the bands on your AL80's right at the break of the neck?
Yep

Are you diving wet or dry?
Dry

What is your weight total and how do you have it rigged?
16 is right.
Was wearing it all on the belt with an aluminum plate, but just got me a 12 lbs FredT that I'm so in love with I am damn near making out with it.
Sans V-weight I'm wearing the extra 4 in Trim weights on the backplate waistbelt (one is substituting for a hose retainting canister light until I find $800 under a rock or something)

What BP are you using?
Above mentioned, dead sexy FredT

Which wing?
Dive Rite Classic

Which holes in the wing are you using?
Tried all three, same results.
Also, no matter how far I move the tanks down (that is, using the bottom holes on the plate) same result.

How much does your V-weight weigh?
8 lbs.

Where did you place your V-weight...is it directly behind your wing or did you put it on the far side of the bands?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

A lot of V-weights have a long and short end. Did you put the long end up...pointing over your head or the long end down...pointing towards your feet?
Long end down.

Maybe a pic of your rig would help?
Probably, but I'm pretty lazy.

center of gravity drill
Basically, unless I skull like an idiot I'm flipping over. The center of gravity seems to be in the middle of my shoulderblades.

Dang...

I don't have a good answer for ya.

16 pounds for twin Al 80s, drysuit, fresh water...6 pounds or so of that is your cylinders' bouyancy when near-empty...leaving 10 pounds for your DS and undees...wow...just seems 'wierdly-lite'.

Maybe...

...the 'problem' will disappear with a little more time in your doubles...

...it's related to things like leg position and back arching...

...that 8# V-weight simply is too much...could you cut it in half and just use the one bolt hole and the lower bolt with the weight pointing towards the feet...

...toss the V-weight and just stick with a weight belt...

or

...you could tuck the V-weight in the front of your thigh for optimal chick appeal or in the back, for those time when you want to be left alone!

Stephen

saying:
So in an effort to lose the weightbelt altogether with some AL80s I got me a V Weight.

I figured, "Eh, so it gets me a little heavy" (about 4 lbs heavy) the loss of belt, I thought was worth it.

Then I get in the water and I fight the trim the entire time. After a few minutes I decide to just hold still and see what the hell this weight wants to do.

Turns out, what it wants to do is get me on my back, and fast. But not to just turtle over to one side or the other... oh no. It wants to flip me headfirst like I'm doing a summersault before leaving me staring up at the surface.

Did I misunderstand? Was the V weight supposed to be strapped to my legs or something? Or is it just a case of drastic overweighting?
In order of preference, try the following:
  1. Determine exactly how much weight you need - you may be able to reduce your ballast.
  2. Reposition the tanks in their bands - move them as far down as you can and still do a valve drill.
  3. Move the channel weights as far down as possible.
  4. Dump the channel weights and go for a harness or weight belt.
Sometimes training wheels (ankle weights) can be a help while you're getting used to a new configuration, just remember that they are tiring and that you want to abandon them as soon as possible.

:ROFL:

please send video!!!!!!!!!

Have you tried butt mounting the weight!!!!

Small helium balloons attached to the manifold might help..

Sorry to make light of it dude, I dive dry with al 80's in fresh with a similar 8-9 lb V weight and center of gravity is great, dont even need gaitors. I sure would like to see that video though.

saying:

Was that you at millbrook on sun. Beach two about 1:45 ?

If it was , that was some fancy upside down, feet towards the sky swimming.:)

PM me and I'll help you out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom