The Search for North Americas Oldest Shipwreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott McWilliam

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone see any baskets underwater?

I am starting a project that some will find amusing and others incredibly boring. Also, I am looking for help. I am starting to look and have been writing on prehistoric archaeological sites with submerged components and if you are interested in that type of thing send me a note and I will send hyperlinks.

It will take a ridiculous amount of diving in Lake Superior but I think we can begin the search for the oldest shipwreck in North America, possibly as far back a 6,500 BCE. Perhaps we will discuss this more if anyone is interested.

We would often dive at Silver Islet off the dock when I lived in Thunder Bay. Very close to the dock in two places we came across what looked like a stack of baskets that had become unbound. We used to call this type of basket an apple basket and it held about a bushel and a half. Now, decades after the fact, I realise that my apple baskets were the remains of birch bark canoes and the flat strips of wood in my basket were the cedar strips of the canoe. In one case the canoe was standing on end and compressed in making a dense pile of the strips of wood.

If you notice a similar feature while diving drop me a line. It is best not to mess with the site as it is the type of the thing that may merit excavation, you can contaminate samples spoiling radiocarbon dating if the materials are not handled right.

Attachments

• one-half-bushel.jpg
    one-half-bushel.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 192
Navigating The Shield Archaic MAS 6
The trick is understanding prehistoric how Old Copper Culture and other archaeological sites were used and how they are interrelated... Some of my work may be published in the Manitoba Archaeological Society newsletter but I usually post drafts on Academia.edu for peer review. You may find, Navigating the Shield Archaic interesting. Thank you for your interest and time.
Navigating The Shield Archaic MAS 6

Of course, sex plays a big roll in this kind of study and if you are thinking about getting involved you might want to give The Pictograph Problem at Agawa a read. Just to make sure you can work is an environment full of the graphic sexual imagery of the prehistoric. You did not think I was in this for the money did you?The Pictograph Problem at Agawa

This is all extremely interesting.

More, please :)

Thank you, this is fascinating!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom