The Royal Cancun and recommended dive operators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

av8er23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have booked my honeymoon and will be going to Cancun on May 11-17. We did lots of research on a honeymoon location that included most islands in the Caribbean. We decided to go to Cancun because the all-inclusive resorts seemed like a good value, the diving is pretty good from what I understand, and there are lots of other activities if we decided to get out a little. We are staying at the “The Royal Cancun”. If you have been there please feel free to share you experience. We are currently looking for a dive operator. I have noticed that “Mayan Aqua Dive” has come up several times in different threads. I am assuming that this is a reputable operator. I do have a few other questions though.

1. Are there any particular dive sites that we should see?
2. What visibility can we expect?
3. What cenote’s are close by if we decide to dive one of those?
4. Is there any place to shore dive in Cancun?
5. What can we expect of the beaches? I have heard that they are extremely rocky…

Anyone that has been to Cancun please share your recommendations.

Thanks

I my name is Alvaro Gonzalez, and I´m a scuba diving instructor, PADI 169884, CMAS P3-MEX-2891, I´ve been living here for 28 years, I´ve seen so many changes in Cancun, because the weather, we still have beatiful beaches, ther is not shore dives, you need a boat to dive in the best dive sites, about the visibility depends of the wind conditions, but in may, we usually have good weather, dive in cenotes coul it be your best and longest dive, but they are 75 miles away from Cancun, so it´s necessary to go by the transport that we provide, it does not take more than one hour.
I´m a new member of scubaboard, but I been in teaching scuba diving in Cancun for a long time, so I know a few good sites.
Check my web site, you wiil not regret.
alwaysdiving.com // BUCEO PROFESIONAL - PROFESSIONAL SCUBA DIVING // BIENVENIDO - WELCOME

They are putting up new resorts all the time and I am not familiar with the Royal Cancun. However, the dive shop I can recommend...Mayan Aqua Dive offers Cancun Diving, Snorkeling, Cavern Diving, Cozumel Dives & PADI Courses. He has packages listed on his website but email him directly and have Ben work with you on a custom package. You will be happy you did. Ben@mayanaquadive.com

Jack

Are you a friend of Ben's? Or do you get free or discounted dives for referring people? I am just wondering because you seem to promote him pretty hard.

Ok, the package for 6 tk diving in Cancun is: $ 200.00 us.
2tk cenote dive, and and 4 tk in Cancun is: $ 260.0 us.
2tk dive in Cancun, 2tk dive in Cozumel and 2tk cenote dive is: $ 305.00 us
These prices are per person.
Include: tax, a personalized DVD of one of the 2tk dive (you decide wich one, except cenote dive), lunch (Cozumel and cenote dives) purified water in sealed personnel bottles and dive gear.
$ 6.00 us discount if you bring your own gear.
For cenote dive we include the wet suit, you can rent a wet suit for ocean dives $ 10.00 us for the rest of the dives, not per day.

With me, you can reserve all kind of water sports, fishing trips, parasailing, jungle tours, whale sharks snorkeling, swim with dolphins, water ski, luxury yatch rent, lobster dinner tour (at nigth), etc. They are all professional services
Without paying extra commissions

I will check them out Spratman. I have noticed that you tuned in on several Cancun threads. You must be a common visitor? Does Mayan also do fishing charters?

Yeah, I'm down once a year, since 2004. Okay, I missed Nov 2006 because of Wilma. It hit the week before I was to fly in. I've made some great friends down there and make sure I try to arrange some time with them. Al Mason and I hooked up when I was looking for Ben after he left his old employer. I contacted them and they wouldn't give me contact information.

I wanted by son and daughter trained by him. (Yeah, he's that good) Al is retired Brit Army and takes care of the boys down in Belize. I'm a disabled Army vet so we were good to go from the beginning. Great guy if you get a chance to meet him. However, if the Royal Marines are in town or the SAS boys, lock yourself away at night....crazy people! :D

Yes, Ben has fishing charters as well. I don't think he does them, but will hook you up with a solid operator if you want to fish. My son wants to fish, however, it was a tad on the expensive side for me. If there are a couple of you to split the cost, it's much more doable.

Also, take the honey's downtown. I like it because you get away from most of the tourists. Check out La Parilla and La Placitas, great food and nice environments. You will have an awesome time!

Are you a friend of Ben's? Or do you get free or discounted dives for referring people? I am just wondering because you seem to promote him pretty hard.

Yes I am. I get no kick backs. I promote his op because I think he's the best all around operator. I have dove with others. Yeah, most people don't say what you did but I'm sure they are thinking it. So, thanks for airing your concerns.

All I will say is look at what all the other folks on SB are saying when they have dove with Ben and Mayan Aqua Dive. They all agree and have or will be booking return trips with him. Happy customers are the best advertising.

I like straight up and direct people. Dive with him and tell me if I'm misleading people. You'll be a return patron as well. :D

Dive safe!

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom