The question that got me flogged on another board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wisconsin,

I have mixed feelings about the answer to your question. On one hand, you can't get the training you desire in the area in which you live. So a short course in Florida fits the bill. I'm sure that your a fairly intelligent person and can absorb all of the info that's being taught to you.

Now for the other hand-getting all this info so quickly surely can let it all sink in and get digested. Please understand that I am only OW certified, but having divemasters and other instructors-to-be watch us new divers can only enhance their teaching ability. We do so many and different dumb things as new divers that the learning process must go both ways. That's the part that you'd be missing.

And as everyone has said, the more diving you'll do the better off you'll get, no matter your final intentions. I'm not sure a 10 week course offers you the experience that you will need. The book knowledge, yes. The physical experience, not sure.

BTW, welcome to the new folks joining us-jimholcomb,deepy, and algulfdiver!!

Jimholcomb, I think I've seen your posts on some of the other boards. If I'm right, you defend the DIR position quite well. Welcome.

It is my stand that you can only give away what you have,If you have great knowledge,obviously you can give that away.The downside is that you could only give away what experience you have.I was in the springs today and had the opportunity to watch good instruction done by a new instructor and some pathetic instruction done by someone with several years of practice as an instructor.The main difference was the respect for standards and practices they were trying to instill in their students.The one fella seemed only intent on how many "margueritas" he was owed for tanks left standing.He had a large class (7 students)diving 34-37% on thier OW checkouts.Most had air computers or just gauges and I watched as the whole horde dropped straight down into the silt instead the provided platforms to do skills.Obviously I'd rather have new instructor who was adamant about adherence to the basics than someone whose length of experience might cause them to become complacent.Go for it and try to become the best instructor in you're area.P.S. I hope you don't suffer the illusion that a dive career is going to improve your financial position.

Technically correct, no bad habits, proper demonstrations, up-to-speed on the latest standards - you can get all these in the "straight-through" course. The places I know of produce a competent product that can be hired safely as a junior instructor who'll do a reliably good job "by the book." Where the staff has an experienced instructor on hand to help you handle the "interesting" ones, and to let you gain experience until you're comfortable, it's a great way to get into the business quickly.
Do it.
Rick

This reply is based on the fact you are doing a PADI course. If you are not, then some will not apply.

As far as I can see it you have three things in your favour for this to work.
1) Your desire
2) Your financial situation has improved
3) Your intelligence to ask questions

The things you have against it
1) Will you be good enough
2) Is there the time to be good enough

Answer to Q1 is yes. Because of 1 & 3 of the previous list.
I think for Q2, the way we used to run our intensive courses is that after the AI stage you, (the trainee Inst) get in the classroom and teach, and teach, and teach, and assist and teach etc.

If you are OW, (with at least 10 dives, then the minimum period of time it will take you to get to the stage of teaching will be
Advanced OW 2 days
Rescue D 3 days (actually two but that is a real b-buster)
Medic First aid 1 day
Divemaster 14 days (for the least stressfull way of doing it)
Assistant Instructor 6 days.

This is a total of 26 days. One month pretty much. If after the Divemaster you have 60 dives then you can do the Asst Ins.

If you havent then you will have to do the dives before certification.

This is where a small problem/dilemma occurs.
Do you, if you have not got 60 dives;
1) just dive four times a day for 20 minutes at 10 metres (35 feet) to get the dives
or
2) do two good dives a day for the diving experience.

Most good diving setups, will monitor your diving throughout the week to make sure you take at least one day off in a week if you are pumping out 20 dives a week

So you have made it to DM, then onto Asst Inst.
lots of classroom teaching - very useful.
lots of in water supervision - invaluable.
Another 2-3 weeks

Ready for the IDC (instructor development course)
As you have had lots of teaching experience with the school, the comfort level will be very high, as you will be picking up lots of good tips from your school's instructors as the courses progress.

After the IDC comes the most stressful part, the Instructor Exam.
This is actually the easiest part as you have had 2 months in the learning environment, which some of the other Instructor candidates havent had.
You will breeze through this. Only two days and then it is one big party afterwards before you go to do your Medic First Aid instructor course.
Section one - head injuries (hangover cures!)

From then your dive school will/should put you in the pool teaching.
you have learnt how to teach now you will learn to teach efficiently, so they should put you with an experienced instructor to learn the time scales to become an efficient educator.

This should take up the rest of the three months.

So I think you should wholeheartedly go for it.
I think that the main thing once you have become an instructor is to "team teach" with an experienced instructor.
this way you will learn the things they did not teach you in the education system you have just been through.

Good luck

but I have heard that not much money as a diving instructor............so going from fianicially secure to insecure..............I like your train of thought.................if it weren't for kids off to college, mtg and wife I would do the same as you .........follow your dream and be safe............

Butch :peace:

Just wanted to say thanks for all the opinions. You gave me some more information to consider. Ironically, I apparently spoke too soon when I said my financial situation had improved as my company just announced 6000 jobs being cut. My odds aren't so good at having a job next week. So I'll have to put those "Scuba school plans" on hold but I really appreciate the input! :)

I agree with Gary that, both Pro-dive and Ocean Divers are great schools and you will go through a great training program in either one.
They Would be the only two schools I would go to for what you call a crash course., but at 8 hours a day for three months this is not such a crash course to me, But then again I only spent 6 months in the Police Academy In NYC and they called me a cop, go figure. I guess since it was only 6 months 8 hours a day I should have been a crossing guard...=-)

I've been looking at. From what I can see, it seems like a professional atmosphere, and thats defintely what I would be looking for. It is interesting to note though that I spent more time in training to work for the phone company then I would to be responsible for peoples lives. I've heard enough stories of accidents, and deaths in OW class or check out dives to make me think twice. I truely want to do a good job. I think I have enough experience in sales, and customer service to be of value in that sense of a working in a dive shop, but I've always prided myself on being one of the most capable people in any job I've done, and would hate to be a less then excellent instructor....Thanks for the input! Prodive stays at the top of my list.

Back
Top Bottom