The question that got me flogged on another board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wisconsin

Reaction score
Since I've received such a warm welcome from you all I'm hoping to ask this question without being run off the board. Here goes....
What do you guys think about the Scuba schools offering 3 months long courses to take you from OW to Instructor? Let me explain. I'm (obviously) in Wisconsin and the diving season here is short, and the diving itself is...well, not my cup of tea. I want to be an Instructor. I've wanted this for a LONG time. Its taken me 8 years to get my OW cert and most of my equipment (due to financial constraints). My financial situation has improved and I want to get started in a Scuba career as soon as possible. I could take all the classes here in Wi, but how many classes can you fit into a Summer? Not too many. So I've gotten some information on a few schools in the Florida area offering these three month courses. I'm concerned that I won't get the experience I need to be a good Instructor, but at the same time I don't want to work for the phone company for the next however-many years it would take to complete all the classes here. What do you guys think?

QUICK! Grab the Whips and Chains ....

No ... wait ... I think that might get Natasha or Don alittle too excited ...

Wisconsin, That is more than a legit question, and I cannot imagine why you would be flogged just for asking ... If you don't ask, then you can't know. Honest/Serious questions are always welcome.

As to your question ... I would have to say that I would -

a) Do exactly what you're doing and ask around
b) Specifically find and ask those that have done this already or that may have some 1st hand experience with it
c) and Lastly, I would say that being in the special situation seasonally that you're in - Go for it ... but as Yooper said above, then let the real training begin ... Get the experience in, diversify your dives and DIVE DIVE DIVE!

My main question would be ... How many dives are you doing from start to finish in these courses? What kind of experience are they saying you will get before you are tossed to the wolves?

I know that some others have made it to Instructor in an even shorter time which is actually scary to me.

=-)

Neptune,
Some of the materials don't say how many dives you'd be doing, but they do alude to it being very "intense". One site I visited said 100+ dives in 10-12 weeks, plus they have you working in their dive shop, and on their boats as part of your learning experience. Students are "in class" 8 hours a day, and are required to dive on weekends if they do not have enough dives logged when they enter the program. Also I wonder if I would have a problem with cramming all that knowledge into my little brain in 10 weeks. Thanks for the suggestion! I think I'll see if I can't find some people who've gone through it and get their input.

Originally posted by Wisconsin
I'm concerned that I won't get the experience I need to be a good Instructor

Does Experience make a good instructor? Yes all good instructors have experience. Does that mean you will get experience during your intensive course? I think so but will that short of Experience make you a not good instructor? No

all that being said as the Diamondback score

I will also add my vote and say go for it. if you feel comfortable confident with your decision

1) Where to ultimately hope to teach? Wisconson probably doesn't offer the opportunites that you need or want. And, many instructors do so part-time and hold full-time employment in another industry.

2) I agree with the diversification of your diving experience. The more adventures that you can bring into the classroom the better. Do some of the cold water ship wrecks that Wisconsin has to offer (I hope to get on some of those in the near furture), dive in some of the quarries and lakes (ie Devil's and Wazee and others), and try some of the other states and countries too, if you can afford to travel. This experience will help you in the class room when students ask of your experiences or what to expect in a certain location or diving adventure.

3) Hey, go for it. If diving is something that you are passionate about, there is no reason why you can't do it. There are some intense programs out there, which are you looking at? I know many that did a year or two of divemastering before they took the plunge. So, that might be a consideration.

4) Its a committment of time and energy, but the rewards are fabulous: seeing a student smile and get excited when they accomplish something that they didn't think that they'd be able to do, or being pumped about their first dive on a wreck, or seeing their first carribean fish. If you are a people person, you'll have a grand time.

5) I would also recommend getting involved in some non-diving classes too: compressor maintenance/repair, diesal engine or small engine maintenance/repair, scuba equipment repair course for a variety of manufacturers, and so forth. Also, if you can teach specialty courses you'll be more marketable.

I wish you the best of fun and luck in following you dream. :D

I'll take the opposing position on this topic. When folks ask "which agency is best?" most folks say "it's the instructor - not the agency!" Now ask your self this...."Would YOU want YOUR child's instructor to have been a product of the training you are considering?" A ten week crash course????? And as a side bar to the topic .... you have to wonder about training agencies which allow such "instructor mills".

If you are very talented, maybe, you can learn everything, but you will not have the experiences, wich you can get only with time. Not only the number of dives is important, but time too, time, to think over and over some problems, get solutions, and get experiences how to care with and for people. After 3 months you will not be the person who is able to do this work as an instructor. But you could work very well as dive-master for some years, and after it you could be the best instructor in Wisconsin.
Cheers

:bounce: I went to Pro. Dive FT. Lauderdale for my dive master then waited for 3 or 4 months and went to Ocean Divers Key Largo for my Instructors course. These are two GREAT operations. I highly recommend either or both. Ocean Divers have smaller classes. Believe Me or ask anyone who has went through this kind or training, you will earn what you get. At least I know you will with these ops. and PADI. PADI has great material for a good learning experience. Good Luck.. If you have any questions e-mail me. Gary.

I admire you for going after your dream, and say go for it.

A few words:
- where are you going to be teaching? Where you live, the waters are not exactly warm. I would hope if you are an instructor at home, you get experience in the water you'll be diving in. Yes you'll have the academics, but our lovely cold temps put a whole different spin on the remove the mask skill.

- experience on the pro-side. I've DM'd for instructors who were DMs or AIs for quite awhile before becoming an instructor, and I've DM'd for those who did a fast track. I prefere those in the former group as they have always shown awarness not only for the students but for the other professionals associated with the classes. A minor point sure, but it also provides an opportunity for you as a DM or AI to pick up those points/training techniques that are good (and avoid those that are bad)

As jmsdiver said, diversifying you skill set to include diving related skils.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom