The Pontos, Hamburg - revisited.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finless

Reaction score
For those of you who are multi dive forum participants, I have posted this elsewhere! Faithless person that I am!

The 'revisited bit' relates to a wreck called the Pontos which is obvious if you know I've never been to Hamburg.

From a previous post (lower down this page) you may know of a dive on an 'Unknown' wreck where fellow diver Colin found a piece of brass on the wreck with the name The Pontos on it. I had the important task of being Mr Verifier and Markus (***'s wrong with RHIB diving then!!!!! - Inspiration charter, Eastbourne - www.trojanmarine.co.uk - Markus I expect 2 doughnuts or toffee yum yums next week!) had checked the details that same day, notified the Hydrographic Thingy People and generally did most of the research. Well, Saturday 8th Oct was the return visit to recover the brass!

My Friday evening preparations were delayed by having to search and recover SWMBO from a pub in Bexhill at 7pm, having gone for a 'quick drink after work at 2pm with the girls'. It didn't sound too promising when I phoned from the car outside the pub and the location was "news to her...hic" as she thought she was somewhere else! FFS!

By the time she had followed me indoors from the car I had to spend a few minutes picking natures dandruff off her as she had fallen over in the garden and was covered in leaves. Fortunately she was unconscious within ½ an hour and I was able to get back to my kit.

By 9:45 I had the wing on the cylinders, all the pipe work connected, gas analysed, gas usage v dive times planned (using my marvellous spreadsheet), torch battery on charge and my backup deco run times written down on my slate. There were a few bits to do but a man HAS to go for a pint on a Friday - good job I did as I got ½ shares in a £250 payout from the Club bandit.

5am the alarm goes off. 5:30 I wake up again and sort out a coffee, ablute and load up the kit. 6:45 leave home and at 7:00 arrive at Eastourne - it's tough living this close to a dive boat . Out through the 8:00 lock and off we go over a fairly lumpy sea with 9 other divers, Markus and Susie (Ric's SWMBO who is also a diver but was acting as temp boat aid).

Unfortunately the electrics failed (didn't affect the engine) on the way out causing the widget that says where to go to switch off. A number of tools, curses, piss takes and one bit of sticky tape later it was fixed and we made it to the dive site in time for slack. In the middle of this I remembered I had not programmed my dive computer with the correct mixes (34.7% O2 and 73.4% O2). It was at this time I remember why Cochrans are not too popular with some divers (I'll explain this to anyone who doesn't know why).

As is my want I dropped in last (having helped a little to get some of the others get ready) - the first bag was already up! I dropped down the shot feeling happy that my fears that the vis would be poor after the recent 'stir'were proved to unwarranted. I sent the anchor up on it's bag and made my way along side the wreck.

The wreck which was upside down with only the hull showing (abt 4 mtrs sticking up?) and I later realised I had found it in virtually the same place as on the previous dive and, coincidentally followed the same route round it (no compass). As I rounded the pointy end (I think) of the wreck and went back the other way on the other side of the hull I was greeted by a big shoal (200 ish?) of pouting hovering about. I stopped to watch for a minute before continuing. I think the fish were stoned because, even on open circuit, I almost had to bat them out of the way. As I reached the end of the hull I headed out over the sand to the stern section which was just a murky shape in front of me. As I got there I met Colin and Ric (both on YBODs) to be given what I thought was a shrug from Colin. I assumed this to mean he couldn't find the brass bit but turned out to be that he was winding me up (I now reckon he was trying to get his tool bag in a comfier position . I immediately set about looking around and found the spot within one minute only to find the brass plaque gone. Colin relented and pointed to his goody bag and I relaxed feeling pleased he had 'got it' and exceptionally pleased with myself for finding the right spot - my navigational skills are usually represented by a minus score.

This bit of the wreck (the stern?) whilst small in area curiously seems to be the right way up and stands 6 or 7 mtrs proud of the sea bed with a bit of mast sticking up. I stopped to have a look at a cuttlefish for minute, had a 'feel round' in the sand in case there were any doubloons there. Sadly I'm no richer but I did see a couple of tiny star fish shaped things (from my poor description Ric later thought they were brittle stars?). Ric and Colin had gone by the time I returned from the dark side of the wreck (they were in the water abt 30 mins before me). The current started to pick up a bit so I stayed in the same area in the shelter of the wreck. There was a little 'swim under' where I stopped to try some telepathic communication with a conger. I obviously thought something it didn't like as it backed away from me. There were loads of brown crabs and I didn't see any lobsters. By the by I haven't seen many spider crabs this year?

Anyway, I was up to about 9 mins of deco and as the current was picking up I decided to send the DSMB up (tied to a sturdy bit of wreck) and then swim round it for a bit (divers equivalent of a handbag at the disco?). Once the bag was up I decided that, as I had been round this bit of the wreck about 6 times, I would drift on the bag for a minute or three and watch the sea bed go past. After about 30 seconds I was fed up of sand and headed up.

I haven't downloaded the data from dive computer yet but I think max depth was 32 mtrs, air to air time was about 50 mins. Started on 210 bar and finished on 70 bar in the 10s and 120 in the 3 ltr deco. I was actually back on the boat before Ric and Colin. Vis was probably about 8 to 10 mtrs (I could still see the sand without a torch from 8 mtrs up my line with the tide running. There was loads of ambient light - no torch needed apart from the nooks and crannies.

The only down side to the day was that there was only one doughnut each although Ric liberated Markus' secret stash of choccy biscuits.

Back in Eastbourne lock many pictures were taken of the brass thingy (in the shape of a small straw boater hat) and us. A pint was had in the Marina Yacht Club .... I tell you, for the diving I do, it doesn't get much better than that.

The conditions this year have been consistently the clearest I can remember (unsurprising as I can't remember anything before May! ).

The following information was submitted by Markus (skipper/owner of Inspiration) as an addendum to my post:-

Just an update on this...... The recovery of the item, which we believe is the boss from the remote (steering) wheel, is being reported to RoW and we are also in contact with a descendent of the owners of the Shipping line (A.C. de Freitas) who is currently researching the histories of ships of this line for a book that he is writing.

PART 1

Information acquired by Markus. The following is an email reply from .... well, it'll be self evident:-

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 11 September 2005 04:11
To: Markus
Subject: PONTOS

Hi Markus,

Well, well, you do have exiting news! Yes, PONTOS, capt. Julius Jerchau, sank in that area after a collision with STAR OF NEW ZEALAND in dense fog on 31/3/1899 at 2115h. PONTOS was hit port-side by STAR OF NEW ZEALAND somewhat forward of her bridge resulting in a approx. 23 feet deep gash and probably crushing two crew members to death. PONTOS sank very quickly after impact.

However, the other crew members and passengers were rescued. PONTOS carried a cargo of grain and live cattle and sheep. STAR OF NEW ZEALAND stayed afloat. - These details are contained in a detailed report and verdict published following a hearing at the Seeamt in Hamburg. There are also two reports in Lloyd's Shipping Gazette Weekly Summery of 14/7 and 10/11/1899
and more probably elsewhere.

Statistics on PONTOS: built 1895 by Richardson, Duck, Stockton/Tees, 2711 BRT (gross t), 91.18 x 12.82 x 7.61m, Triple Exp. 1000hp steam engine.

As to myself, I am a descendant of the de Freitas family and have been researching the shipping company and family for a number of years intending to write a book.

What condition did you find the wreck in, and what are diving conditions like? Are you allowed or will you take items off the wreck? I am very interested to hear from you!

Kind regards,
Geoff

>From: "Markus Griggs"
>To: Geoff
>Subject: Pontos
>Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 15:28:15 +0100
>
>Gottfried,
>
>
>
>Hi ,
>
>
>
>My name is Markus Griggs and I run a dive charter out of Eastbourne on
>the South coast of the UK. Today we have dived the wreck of an unknown
>ship off Hastings and we think that we have identified it as the Pontos
>via a nameplate found on the wreck. Using search engines, I have found
>your site and wonder what comnnection you have with the AC de Freitas
>line and what information you may be able to provide us about the
>Pontos.
>
>
>I look forward to hearing from you
>
>Regards, Markus
>

Part 2
Information acquired by Markus.
Some more info on the Pontos:-

Sent: 11 September 2005 17:24
To: Markus
Subject: Re: Eastbourne diving - Weds 14th September

Hi Markus,Hope the Duchess dive went well. The details I gave you over the phone were taken from East Sussex Shipwrecks of the 19th Century.Will provide you with photocopy when I see you but following references may be of some help---------
Pontos recorded as No.19208.1.4.1899 in Lloyds List and 1899-1900.542 [P] in Lloyds Register.She was travelling from Buenos Aries to Deptford in thick fog, carrying 164 cattle, 970 sheep and passengers ,mainly miners returning home with their belongings from the Argentinian placer mines,Vessel was struck amidships in front of bridge with such force that ship was cut almost in two_One bullock was. This would explain why hull is lying almost upside-down and remainder is upright..No sign of any of these on last dive but high protein diet and genetics would explain massive crabs on this wreck. Hope the weather stays good for next Saturday.Have a good week,John.

Part 3

Sent: 12 September 2005 15:03
To: markus@trojanmarine.co.uk
Subject: Wreck of Pontos

Dear Mr Griggs,

Thank you for the details of Pontos and the confirmation of the correct identity. I have added your information to the record, please find a copy enclosed. Good luck with future diving.

<<Pontos.doc - SEE BELOW>>
Regards,

N McEachan
Wrecks' Officer
UK Hydrographic Office

PONTOS DOC:-

Latitude = 50 42’.844 N Longitude = 000 34’.902 E [OGB] Square Number = 137 State = LIVE
Wreck Number 20487 Classification = Unclassified
Symbol WK 22.0 Largest Scale Chart = 536
Charting Comments
Old Number 013702403
Category Dangerous wreck
WGS84 Position Latitude = 50 42’.880 N Longitude = 000 34’.805 E
WGS84 Origin Original
Horizontal Datum OGB ORDNANCE SURVEY OF GREAT BRITAIN (1936)
Position Method Differential Global Positioning System
Position Quality Surveyed
Position Accuracy 13.0
Area at Largest Scale No
Depth 22.0 metres
Drying Height
Height
General Depth 27 metres
Vertical Datum Lowest astronomical tide
Depth Method Found by echo-sounder
Depth Quality Least depth known
Depth Accuracy
Conspic Visual NO Conspic Radar NO
Historic NO Military NO Existence Doubtful NO
Non Sub Contact NO
Last Amended 23/11/1999
Position Last Amended 23/11/1999
Position Last Latitude = 50 42’.842 N Longitude = 000 34’.900 E
Name PONTOS
Type SS
Flag GERMANY
Dimensions Length = 91.4 metres Beam = 12.8 metres Draught = 5.3 metres
Tonnage 2710 Gross
Cargo
Date Sunk 31/03/1899
Sonar Dimensions Length = 80.0 metres Width = 15.0 metres Shadow Height = 6.0 metres
Orientation 060/240
Magnetic Anomaly Strong
Debris Field
Scour Depth = 0.0 metres Length = Orientation =
Markers
General Comments INTACT, COLLAPSED
Circumstances of Loss
**BUILT IN 1895 BY RICHARDSON, DUCK & CO, STOCKTON-ON-TEES. OWNED AT TIME OF LOSS BY A C DE FREITAS & CO. TWO BOILERS, TRIPLE EXPANSION ENGINE OF 246NHP, SINGLE SHAFT. SANK FOLLOWING COLLISION WITH SS STAR OF NEW ZEALAND (4712 TONS), WHICH RECOVERED THE PASSENGERS & CREW FROM SHIP’S BOATS. (SIBI).
Surveying Details
**H4959/73 29.10.74 WK IN 504250N, 003455E. LEAST E/S DEPTH 23.4MTRS. (HMS BEAGLE, SIGNAL DTD 23.10.74). NCA YET.
***H4959/73 6.5.75 LOCATED 18.9.74 IN 504250N, 003455E [OGB] USING HIFIX [2 LOP]. LEAST E/S DEPTH 23.4MTRS IN GEN DEPTH 27-33MTRS. NO SCOUR. VERY SMALL. POSSIBLE WK ON TOP OF 9MTR HIGH ROCK CLIFF. (HMS BEAGLE, HI 55/74). BR STD.
**H4121/76 3.8.76 DIVERS REPORT LARGE SHIP LYING ON ITS PORT SIDE BOWS TOWARDS 295DEGS. APPROX 4MTRS HIGH OFF THE SEABED WHICH CONSISTS OF COARSE SAND. HIGHEST POINT CENTRE SECTION. BACK MAY BE BROKEN. BOW AND STERN DISAPPEARS INTO SEABED. VERY LARGE HOLE NEAR THE BOWS. (HMS BRONINGTON, REPORT FOR HI 41/76). NCA.
**HH090/611/01 25.1.95 EXAM’D 16.11.94 IN 504252.8N, 003448.3E [WGD] USING DGPS. LEAST E/S DEPTH 22.3 IN GEN DEPTH 27MTRS. NO SCOUR. DCS3 HT 6.0MTRS. LENGTH 80MTRS, WIDTH 15MTRS. LIES 060/240DEGS. MAINLY INTACT WITH FEW PIECES OF DEBRIS NEARBY. SIGNIFICANT MAGNETOMETER DEFLECTION. INCONCLUSIVE SWEEP UNDERTAKEN IN POOR CONDITIONS GAVE A FOUL AT 22.2MTRS. (HMS BEAGLE, HI 611). AMEND TO SW 22MTRS IN 504250.6N, 003454.1E [OGB]. - NM 520/95.
POSITIONS BELOW THIS POINT ARE IN DEGREES, MINUTES AND DECIMALS OF A MINUTE
**HH100/351/21 12.9.05 DIVED IN 5042.863N, 0034.797E [WGD]. WK IS TWISTED, MOSTLY UPRIGHT BUT PARTLY INVERTED. BADLY BROKEN DOWN. IDENTIFIED AS PONTOS BY ARTEFACTS. (M GRIGGS, TELECON). NCA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom