The OTHER dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wetsuit 4 life

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello
I've been looking thou my dive site books of the lower mainland looking for something new and different, and i have come across these sites.

So was wondering if any one has been to any of them lately? Are they still access able? and are they even worth the time to get to them? or just any useful information.

thanks
Dave

1) Caulfeild cove
2) Cliff Cove East - look out point
3) Lions Bay Marina
4) Texaco wharf
5) North Porteau - Porteau Half Mile
6) Smugglers Cove - Bowen Island
7) Seymour Bay - Bowen Island
8) Britannia Beach Dock
9) Porteau 1/4 mile
10) Millers landing
11) Mannion bay (deep bay) - Bowen Island

Dave! Where ya been!?!?

I can vouch for the divability of:
1) Caulfeild cove - really only good as a night dive in the winter - too many boats in the summer
2) Cliff Cove East - look out point - one of the best sites in the city
3) Lions Bay Marina - currently not allowing divers due to several close calls with boaters
6) Smugglers Cove - Bowen Island - Access is on private property - you can dive it if you get permission from the strata that owns it
7) Seymour Bay - Bowen Island - Beautiful site

I really enjoy diving Bowen... a single dive at Seymour bay followed by one from the Mt. Gardner dock makes for a great day.

That's all I know... I look forward to answers on the rest of them.

1) Caulfeild cove
2) Cliff Cove East - look out point
3) Lions Bay Marina
4) Texaco wharf
5) North Porteau - Porteau Half Mile
6) Smugglers Cove - Bowen Island
7) Seymour Bay - Bowen Island
8) Britannia Beach Dock
9) Porteau 1/4 mile
10) Millers landing
11) Mannion bay (deep bay) - Bowen Island

I used to dive Cauldfield cove quite a bit at one point and (in the cove) it is quite shallow (25-40') but lots of old bottles and odd bits and pieces. A large anchor and upsidedown dinghy for anyone who wants to salvage them. I believe around the point (eastward) gabriel and others were finding lots of octos last year.

I found Mt Gardener on Bowen to be comparable to Furry creek (divewise). Bowen is a nice change of pace and the ferry is pretty cheap.

I notice you are not listing any lakes? While there isn't the same degree of flora and fauna lakes can offer some quick and easy dives without the post dive rinsing. I've seen some pretty neat stuff in some of them but you have to be much more patient than in the ocean. This week a few of us dove a fairly large wall at Cultus lake that drops to 135'.

I saw a sidescan image of a large wreck next to the Britania dock and I was suprised that no one dives there, but maybe the visibility is measured in inches.

That's very interesting. I checked out BB one day and found the vis to be terrible but maybe it comes and goes like the rest of the sound. I also remember reading that the substrate around BB leaches a lot of toxins as they used to just dump the tailings from the mine right into the cove. There was also a major disaster there in the early part of the century when a dam burst above the townsite and part of it (the town) was washed out to sea.
I think I will have to put that wreck at BB back on the list for further investigation. Can't let you do all the exploring!

I've heard it's pretty deep. I heard of some people following drag marks and a debris trail well into the 200s and still not getting to it. I really don't remember the depth that was mentioned in the conversation.

As far as Caulfield, it's fairly shallow but has a great variety of life around a nice rock reef. I still haven't found a place with more octos. I just dove Octopus City in Powell River and it still does not have as many octos as Caulfield. Entry point is on Pilot House Rd behind the anchor memorial to Admiral Caulfield.

While we are on the topic, Eric, Laudhi and I have been planning on doing a dive or two at North Beach in Alouette Lake just around the corner from Gold Creek. Has anybody tried the site?

a\Azczcordi[ng

What I meant to say, before I spilled beer on my keyboard (seriously), was that according to the chart and the side scan image, the wreck looks pretty shallow. -Almost up in the intertidal zone, but maybe I'm not comparing the scan image to the chart correctly.

You could be interpreting it correctly. The conversation I am recalling happened more than a year ago. One of the points of the conversation was the drag marks pointing to the ship slipping into deeper water.

The sonograph document was prepared 8 yrs ago. Things could have happened since then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom