The origins of Scuba Pro: Healthways Scuba.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wallin's of the Peninsula

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I thought this was an interesting story.

Taking a look back: Healthways Scuba, 1963

In the late 1950’s and early 1960’s, scuba diving gear was available to consumers through a number of small companies, one of those being Healthways.

Healthways was a firm founded by Dick Klein which made scuba gear, which ultimately went bankrupt in 1963, due in part to Dick Kiein’s failing health. It was one of the five original USA diving gear makers, the others being U.S. Divers, Voit, Dacor, Swimaster. Notably, Dick Klein saw early on the value of the term “scuba” and placed a copyright on the term, and soon all Healthways products had the term “SCUBA” somewhere in their product name.

Rest of story here: Taking a look back: Healthways Scuba, 1963

Healthways46_744x1024.jpg

Still have one of my Healthways tanks

I am not as thrilled as many of you of the article. It was poorly researched and peace meal organized , a sad reflection on a great magazine.

I recognized a number of my direct quotes as well as well as numerous additions which required clarification. Therefore a letter to the editor - which I requested not to be published -- but should be publicized here for the education of the members of thus board,

My comments and additions are in bold italics

SDM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"chris@californiadiver.com"
The following was brought to my attention via SCUBA Board posting--- I recognize a considerable portion of it as direct quotes from various bit of information that I have sent you over the years--all in good faith for your education as a publisher. Unfortunately I did not restrict it for publication with out my review and final approval and you took the liberty of adding comments which require clarification

I am evoking that right effective immediately. IF you publish any thing I have forwarded you in good faith for your education with my name attached to it I request prior approval.

We are both Californians and you and your magazine represent California. We collectively, you and I. certainly do not want to publish false historical information. Like that found in another national magazine. The editor of that magazine is the worlds greatest self proclaimed historian He can recall events that never happened, equipment that was never produced and people never involved

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"In the late 1950’s and early 1960’s, scuba diving gear was available to consumers through a number of small companies, one of those being Healthways.
Healthways was a firm founded by Dick Klein which made scuba gear, which ultimately went bankrupt in 1963, due in part to Dick Kiein’s failing health.
*It was one of the five original USA diving gear makers, the others being U.S. Divers, Voit, Dacor, Swimaster.

<<<< The original "gear" makers were three in number:
1) Sea Net Manufacturing Company established by Pops Romano in Terminal Island, as SoCal in the 1930s producing the first US mask in 1940,(Frank Roedecker) as well as a number of dive related accessories. Sadly Pops passed away in 1954 and his heirs closed the doors to Sea Net
2) Rene Sports owned by Rene Buzzo which was essentially an importer of European produced dive equipment. After several years in early 1950s Rene changed the name from Rene Sports to US Divers, which is now Aqua Lung,
3) WF Voit, (or was it FW Voit?) who had a relation ship with Rene to produce certain items of equipment
The other two you mentioned:
Dacor was established in the late 1950s in Illinois and was not a major player for some time
Sportsways was established in late 1950s . Are you aware of their relationship with Dick and Healthways? Apparently not !

Notably, Dick Klein saw early on the value of the term “scuba” and placed a copyright on the term, and soon all Healthways products had the term “SCUBA” somewhere in their product name.
* At bankruptcy, two Californians, Dick Bonin and Gus de la Valle, purchased the assets of Healthways and the name of Healthway’s professional line for $1.00 and “due consideration.” That professional line was, and still is, known as “Scuba Pro.”

<
<< The SCUBA Pro line was established by Healthways and a 1962 catalog was published the same year as a Healthways product, a year prior to Gus and Dick acquiring rights for the name.
Copies of the 1962 Healthways/SCUBA Pro catalog are very rare, only a few are known to have survived the passage of 56 years. I have a copy and one other is in a collection in Europe >>>>
<<<< FYI--
May I suggest a great comprehensive book on the history of SCUBA Pro regulators? It is " SCUBA Pro 50 Jahre SCUBA Pro- Der Atemregulaterhersteller" by Frank Werthwein, 2013 Paperback, ISBN #9783848253531, printed in German in Germany but 275 information filled pages on SCUBA Pro regulators.
On page 265 titled "Danksagung" you will notice my name listed above Dick Bonin- We both contributed and assisted Frank in producing this monumental book on the first 50 years of SCUBA Pro >>>>

Healthways is also notable in that it was the first manufacturer to use “scuba” as a word rather than an acronym; in fact, their twin-hose regulator line was called the “Scuba”; hence, one of their later models, the Scuba Pro, (???) eventually became the name of reorganized company. Healthways’ single-hose regulators were dubbed the “Scubair” line.

<<< The term "SCUBA" was created in WW11 by the late Dr.Christensen to describe his LARU unit and had been around as a USN acronym in common usage until Dick Klein discovered it and claimed legal title to the term SCUBA. Prior to that time and even some years afterwards California divers used the term "Lung" (as in AQUA LUNG)to describe self contained diving as opposed to free diving aka snorkeling

Below are some of the original Healthways ads which ran in publications of interest to scuba divers. Click on each thumbnail to see a larger version and enjoy!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The above is for your information only and certainly NOT for PUBLICATION in any format with out prior approval of me in writing.
I wish you well in all future endeavors amd coninued sucess of your fine magazine
Cheers from CenCal
Samuel Miller, 111

The term "SCUBA" was created in WW11 by the late Dr.Christensen to describe his LARU unit and had been around as a USN acronym in common usage until Dick Klein discovered it and claimed legal title to the term SCUBA.

I could never figure out why they bothered to copyright SCUBA, other than it is cheap to do. I can't imagine it holding up in court if Healthways tried to protect it. Healthways also copyrighted Dial-A-Breath, which is now a registered trademark of Kirby Morgan.

See: Bev Morgan, Diving Industry Pioneer, Post #3 near bottom

Sam - FWIW, I thought it was a good article in California Diver and at least covered the bases. I don't think that publishing your private letter to the publication here was particularly appropriate or in good taste. I have to disagree with your statement that "it was a poorly researched..and a sad reflection on a great magazine". I personally enjoyed it very much. I have also spent a lot of time on California Diver and thoroughly enjoy their mag.

Perhaps you should contact them directly in the future before attacking them in a public forum.

Just my 2¢.

-Dante

Last edited:
Healthways was owned by Eldon Industries @ least into the mid 1970's.

I worked at Healthways in the early 70's.

Bob Silverstein was the President of the company.

They provided tanks, regs and other products to Sears, the old New England Divers and many
other dive stores.

They had sold the rights to the name "SCUBAPRO" to Gustave and Dick Bonin. Of course these
two men formed their company and started Scubapro.

Gustave would come over to the Healthways office every week or so to have lunch with my boss,
Claude O'Haver.

Lots of interesting people around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom