The order in which to buy gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

median eminence

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Over the next few months, I plan on setting up my hog rig. I was hoping to get everyones opinion on which items I should purchase first, which items should be purchased together, or whether I should save my money and purchase everything all at once. Right now I am diving with a Zeagle Ranger, Aqua Lung Micra Adjust Reg & octo (I plan on getting some Scuba Pro regs), console, but I do already have the Jet Fins.

Thanks,
Chase

I just went through this, actually still in the process. I was going to save up, but someone was selling a brand new wing at a great price here on SB classifieds so I scooped it up. Then I got a hammerhead plate after awhile. Waited for Christmas to be over so I could see what I got (I got a can light), so I just got my hog harness/weight belt last week from my LDS. I already have regs, etc. so I can finally get wet this weekend :D (I dive/dove a Ranger too) I still need to change out my hoses and will probably change out regs sometime in the not so distant future, but I like my regs (Zeagles) and they work for the diving I currently do. Oh and I'm using the cam straps off my Ranger for now too, I'll get some SS ones, but saves me a few bucks for the time being.

Actually if I did it all over again, I would just get the whole bp/w at once. It costs me about $350 so far. I could have gotten it for less from NESS if I bought a package, and I got the wing (DR Venture) dirt cheap as I said, so it doesn't pay to build the bp/w new piece by piece if cost is a factor.

You already got regs so that can wait until the end IMO

-Garrett

shark.byte.usa:
You already got regs so that can wait IMO until the end IMO

That is what I was thinking. I was going to get my bp/w (most likely DSS) and start diving that, working on getting my trim set, while saving to buy a new set of regs, wrist mount gauges, ect.

You are have a fair bit of flexibility in this.

I've seen people start with the BP/W, I've seen people start with the regs, it should all work.

Just ensure that once you start changing hose length and routing, you get out and practice air shares to ensure that you can safely donate. Snorkels can get in the way, clips etc can too and I've seen people put their drysuit inflator hose _over_ their longhose. Just work it through and keep making sure that you are ok to use the gear. Note that you'll have to find a place to clip the octo if you are staying with a non-bungee setup.

Best of luck :)

Bjorn

Once you get the bp/w. You can still using your same regs but for about $30 at least swap out the hoses on it so you have a long primary and short bungied backup, you will be alot happier with that then getting used to your new bp/w with a standard hose setup then having to switch at a later date.

What about a hog rig makes you think you need new regs? I put a long hose on my current primary first stage and moved the black hose to the back up first stage to get rid of the yellow hose. Works great. If you are already geared up the only thing you should need is Backplate, Wing, Harness - I'd get this all at once - as they are fairly useless without each other :) Oh and some stainless steel clips, one to clip off the primary, one for your can light head, one for your console.

Then when you get a chance get a stand alone SPG. Clip that off and move your computer/bottom timer and compass to your wrist. I'm waiting for the wrist boot to come in for my computer to make this switch.

If you can't do it all at once, my recommendation, after the purchase of your mask, fins, boots and snorkel is:

Wet/Dry suit, B/C, Regulators (with SPG/Depth gauge), Computer

the K

timle:
What about a hog rig makes you think you need new regs?

It's not that I need new regs, it's that I want new regs. I think I will take your advice and get the bp/w and swap out the hoses for now.

timle:
Oh and some stainless steel clips, . . . one for your can light head

I figured, with the expense of them, a can light would be one of my last purchases.

Kangy:
Once you get the bp/w. You can still using your same regs but for about $30 at least swap out the hoses on it so you have a long primary and short bungied backup, you will be alot happier with that then getting used to your new bp/w with a standard hose setup then having to switch at a later date.
I'm not arguing just asking a question...

What is wrong with getting used to your bp/w with standard hoses? I don't see any reason you have to overload with new gear all at once. I would think dialing in your bp/w for a few dives before you getting the long hose and beginning to adjust and drill with it as not a bad thing. I don't see what hose lengths have to do with getting used to your bp/w.

Am I missing something?

-Garrett

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom