The one thing I cannot seem to get: Equalizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubNeo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
The best part is that it is probably just me. I'm sure it is not difficult at all, but I just am finding a way to make it so...

During my open water cert I was unable to finish the pool check dive because I couldn't get my ears to equalize. I did certify in the end because I was quite good at emergency skills and my instructor said I'd get the hang of it later on. The rest of the course I used Toynbee and just kept swallowing, but still finished and had some muffledness in my ears for the next week. Now I did spend most of the cert holding my mask on my face (bad fit, got it taken care of), so I had enough going on. Remembering to equalize in advance was not running through my mind. I did get down to 53 feet very very slowly, and my instructor and I created our own handful of signals to communicate "how the ears were doing" on the boat before.

So the question would be: how do you practice and learn to equalize? I'd prefer to be comfortable with more than Valsalva and Toynbee before I get wet again, but can these be practiced on land? How do I know specifically what it is supposed to feel like? I've also read about the voluntary tubular opening method, and I really want to figure that one out. The idea of just holding the tubes open seems like a really solid way to roll.

Also, would diving off the beach (got a lot of wrecks and reefs close to the shore apparently) or some other fairly shallow location and trying different techniques on the way down (and ascending as I fail them until it works...) be a safe bet? I know what the pressure feels like when your ears start to seal shut, so I know exactly when to abort and head back up. I'd like to keep my ears intact AND keep diving if possible.

Thanks for the help. This is the ONE thing that keeps scuba from being a relaxing experience. I'd like to knock it out so my next few dives I can focus on other soft skills such as neutral buoyancy.

This isn’t unique to you. Lots of people struggle with equalizing.

My advice is to practice on land. In the days before a dive practice equalizing on land. That kind of helps to loosen things up so it is easier.

A clear head helps. Real Sudafed can help with that. I usually take one before dy of diving.

Practice different techniques and positions. One technique may work better for you. Sometimes I have trouble when equalizing head down.

Finally, equalize early and often. It needs to be before you feel the need.

During my open water cert I was unable to finish the pool check dive because I couldn't get my ears to equalize.
On the surface, no scuba, anytime you wish, close off your nose with thumb and forefinger. Swallow. Your ears should block. Pressurize slightly, you should feel a difference. Swallow again, pressurize, keep running the drill while breathing through your mouth as is comfortable. When you are all done, unblock your nose and swallow once. You should feel 'normal' on the final swallow.

There are at least 6 or 7 different equalization techniques. Each diver is different, so you need to experiment with all of them and see what works best for you.
Here I list some of them, search on the Internet for explanations, or ask your instructor (but many instructors, unfortunately, only know and teach number 1):
1) Valsalva
2) Toynbee
3) Frenzel
4) Fattah (a.k.a. mouthfill)
5) Marcante-Odaglia
6) BTV
I use mostly BTV, which allows to open the Eustachian tubes without the need of closing the nostrils or of exerting any positive or negative pressure.
I start equalizing at the surface and continue equalizing continuously while descending.
If I wait just a bit, BTV does not work anymore, and I have to ascend sligthly, or resort to one of the other methods.
So, whatever method you use, equalize early and often.

Iowviz,

Doesn't this just push pressure into my tubes on the surface? I know some of the methods "push pressure" and the others "let pressured air flow through the open tube."

Angelo,
I've come across BTV in some papers, how did you learn to hold the tubes open?

Also how big of a difference does it make to always equalize ahead of pressure instead of in response to it? For example, if I did a 30 foot dive this weekend and equalized every 1.5 to 2 feet starting at the surface above water, would I be able to equalize easier than the way I have (noticing a pressure feeling and then responding)? I know I read that the reason you ascend a few feet is to remove the pressure, otherwise the tubes will be held shut by the pressure difference and make it almost impossible to equalize.

I found I had to swallow very aggressively or blow somewhat hard via Valsalva to get the pressure to go away during my open water boat dives, and eventually I just started ignoring the pressure once I hit 45ft and I couldn't swallow it away.

Probably a bad idea and my ears felt out of whack for a week after 0_0

Then I got covid the week after my ears recovered... oi

Doesn't this just push pressure into my tubes on the surface? I know some of the methods "push pressure" and the others "let pressured air flow through the open tube."
I suggested a simple exercise that both slightly depressurizes and then re-pressurizes your ears. The whole idea is to exercise opening and closing your eustachian tubes in a very gentle fashion.

Also how big of a difference does it make to always equalize ahead of pressure instead of in response to it? For example, if I did a 30 foot dive this weekend and equalized every 1.5 to 2 feet starting at the surface above water, would I be able to equalize easier than the way I have (noticing a pressure feeling and then responding)? I know I read that the reason you ascend a few feet is to remove the pressure, otherwise the tubes will be held shut by the pressure difference and make it almost impossible to equalize.
It makes a big difference to do it early. The pressure difference is not as great if you do it early. Also, the parts of the ear are very tiny, so can be easily damaged. If you wait to feel the pressure, you may already be doing damage.

It makes a big difference to do it early. The pressure difference is not as great if you do it early. Also, the parts of the ear are very tiny, so can be easily damaged. If you wait to feel the pressure, you may already be doing damage.
I mean this alone could be it. I know Valsalva/Toynbee from land testing, I suppose the focus of my next test dive (once I network and find buddies lol) could be entirely based on equalizing. I felt the pressure of a 6 foot pool and came out dizzy this past weekend from a 1 hour equipment test dive (making sure everything I purchased was tuned, oh my goodness Atomic is by and far the best for regs 0_0), so I have a lot of work to do.

I recall another forum post, may have been from here, that said you could go into a pool with a snorkel/mask and try to take a deep breath, equalize, then try to make it down to the bottom while carefully managing your air, equalizing a few times on the way down. Thoughts?

Equalizing definitely gets better the more you practice it, and soon enough it will become second nature. As others have said, in addition to practice, you need to find a technique that works for you. Most divers are taught Valsalva, but it's not really the best and can cause damage if you blow too hard. And that's what a lot of new divers do when they can't equalize. Personally, I use the Lowry technique, which is when you pinch your nose, blow ever so slightly (I barely use any pressure) and swallow. That's the only technique that reliably works for me, but definitely try them all because you might find a better one for you.

Back
Top Bottom