The Olympus group seems to be full of TG5?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ardy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi all this camera has just about dominated this group and I was wondering is someone can sum up the quality of photo's etc out of this camera and what advantages if any the OM series has over this popular camera?

Macro, WA and CFWA UW shots would be useful to see the quality of this camera.

BTW I am not wedded to any camera apart from it being Olympus. I am also not averse to changing to get a smaller rig if it can produce similar results.

I used to have the tg-4. It was a great starter camera and took incredible macro shots.

I finally upgraded to the EM-1mark2 and am very happy with it. It’s a much larger set up and takes much more getting used to then the relatively easy point and shoot settings on the tg series. That being said it is pretty incredible difference in image quality and ability to handle many more types of underwater shooting. It should be for the price difference!

Here are a bunch of photos - the older ones are with the tg-4 and the newer ones (from the Red Sea) are all with the em1 mark 2
https://instagram.com/phil.elsasser?utm_source=ig_profile_share&igshid=1huilt377bvuy

I use the TG-4 UW and during topside 'adventures' where carting about an E-5 + lenses is prohibitive. I like Oly gear and if $ wasn't so much of an issue I could see an OM-D being in my near future. Yes the TG doesn't have manual or shutter priority, but I work around those limitations while working on improving my diving skills + UW photo skills. Once I start 'losing' pictures because the camera can't do what I want it to, then it's time to upgrade!!

Mix of photos in the stream but there's some UW in here: Marc Ferraby (@mferraby) • Instagram photos and videos

I used to have the tg-4. It was a great starter camera and took incredible macro shots.

I finally upgraded to the EM-1mark2 and am very happy with it. It’s a much larger set up and takes much more getting used to then the relatively easy point and shoot settings on the tg series. That being said it is pretty incredible difference in image quality and ability to handle many more types of underwater shooting. It should be for the price difference!

Here are a bunch of photos - the older ones are with the tg-4 and the newer ones (from the Red Sea) are all with the em1 mark 2
https://instagram.com/phil.elsasser?utm_source=ig_profile_share&igshid=1huilt377bvuy

Excellent photography Phil. Enjoyed it very much but got lost in the red sea didn't get to the TG4!!!!

The sensor size on the TG-5 is 1/2.3 inch / 6.2mm x 4.6mm which is a deal breaker for me.

The mirrorless cameras all have 4/3 / 17.3mm x 13.0mm sized sensors.
They also have interchangeable lenses which is another plus.

The OM series has a lot more controls, larger sensor, and interchangeable lenses -- and is more expensive. The good people at Backscatter has a review and a setup article on the TG-5 that might help you choose what is best for you.

Olympus TG-5 and PT-058 Underwater Camera and Housing Review - Underwater Photography - Backscatter

Olympus TG-5 Best Underwater Camera Settings - Underwater Photography - Backscatter

One thing to look out for is depth ratings on the camera housing. The Olympus housing is rated at 145', which is probably fine for most divers. The Ikelite is rated for 200' and is about the same price as the Olympus. Nauticam makes an Aluminum housing rated for 330'/100M, but is significantly more expensive.

Yes Jim, I tried to sell one of my back up EM5's and could not get a bid on ebay at $250US.
Think I will just continue to use my set up. I upgraded from the original E-510 and I must admit I can't see much difference in image quality and I prefered the 50mm macro over the 60.

Back
Top Bottom