The octopus kept the glove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheWetRookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all, I have to tell a funny but true story. I am a new diver and got a chance to dive with some experienced divers last weekend and it was a beautiful day and dive.

While diving, we were looking for a large octopus that reportedly has made its' den in an sailboat wreck. We did not see it on our first dive and did not think to look on our second dive for that day.

Another couple though came out of the water just after us on the second dive and he was missing a glove. First thought is how do you lose a dive glove? (there is probably lots of ways) Well, the octopus had returned and as they were checking it out it latched onto his hand and would not let go so he had to take the glove off. The octopus now only needs 7 more gloves:) So we humans are not the only ones collecting treasures, lol.

I am hoping to go back this weekend and see if I can find him/her. The location for those in the area is Porteau Cove, British Columbia, Canada, on the sail boat wreck near the stern.

They will collect cameras and flashlights as well.
Every time I've stuck my camera back into a hole to get a hearthside shot of a GPO I know I'm risking it. :D

thats too funny!!! i still have my strobe, thanks to scubak (kirsten), she took me to see grandaddy at sunrise beach, i took my strobe off and put it in the cave with him too get some pictures, she took me to the surface and politly told me i was very lucky and to not do that if i liked my strobe, or i may not get it back, ooopps i didnt even think of that!!! lol

the trick to getting them to let go is this:

stop pulling, hold gentle tension... Reach over and gently start lifting the tip of one of his/her OTHER tentacles (not on the item). The octo will think its' loosing it's grip on the bottom substrate and let go of the item so it can get a better grip...

works almost every time :)

Hey Ice girl...I like your little tagalong buddy attached to you in your avitar, lol

That is to funny! I can't wait to see an octopus!! Now I know to be careful when I do come across one.

I'd love to see one.

its on my list with Matass and whale sharks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom