The o-ring general and broad discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phgachoud

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
New to scuba repair, I have a bunch of playing tools that have been given to me to repair/service/save-if-you-can. I serviced 2 second stages with o-ring kits provided by constructor. For the rest, I was wondering what do you guys recommend in terms of how to have a set of o-rings you can use to avoid having to search for manufacturer kit, and if you find it wait for it and so on. I know that would be the best way, but I don't have a service kit shop round the corner of my house :wink: so complicated to get it (Living in Chile).
My questions would be:
  • What are the different types of o-rings used in scuba material. Is it very special, do it have to comply with a certain number of characteristics? if so which?
  • What about the extreme of just buying an o-ring kit on aliexpress and put the one which fits best :wink:
  • How do you guys do to have most of the o-ring sizes in little boxes so you "always" have the o-ring you need
  • Is there somewhere a list of the most used o-ring sizes?
  • Where do you buy those and be sure they are material, size, hardness you expect?

New to scuba repair, I have a bunch of playing tools that have been given to me to repair/service/save-if-you-can. I serviced 2 second stages with o-ring kits provided by constructor. For the rest, I was wondering what do you guys recommend in terms of how to have a set of o-rings you can use to avoid having to search for manufacturer kit, and if you find it wait for it and so on. I know that would be the best way, but I don't have a service kit shop round the corner of my house :wink: so complicated to get it (Living in Chile).
My questions would be:
  • What are the different types of o-rings used in scuba material. Is it very special, do it have to comply with a certain number of characteristics? if so which?
  • What about the extreme of just buying an o-ring kit on aliexpress and put the one which fits best :wink:
  • How do you guys do to have most of the o-ring sizes in little boxes so you "always" have the o-ring you need
  • Is there somewhere a list of the most used o-ring sizes?
  • Where do you buy those and be sure they are material, size, hardness you expect?
Doing a simple search for O-rings will bring up at least 10 pages of results. Also look for Akimbo's treatise on o-rings that is a sticky somewhere.

Here O-rings for Divers

If you can specify the make/model of reg you will reduce the number of o-rings significantly. For "save-dive-kit" you'll probably also want DIN/tank o-rings and inflator o-rings.

There are a lot of previous threads on this subject that may help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom