The new Ultimate Wreck dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCDVR

Reaction score
ATHENS, Greece - A Greek cruise ship that struck a volcanic reef and forced the evacuation of hundreds of tourists sank on Friday, 15 hours after it began taking on water off the coast of a Mediterranean island.The 469-foot Sea Diamond was operated by Louis Cruise Lines, part of a Cyprus-based tourism group.

Modern Cruis liner in calm shallow waters close to shore sitting on top of a reef. Could it get any better?

Somebody please organize this trip and let me know I will take vacation and beg borrow steal equipment for the dive

Cruise ship sinks on Mediterranean reef

By DEREK GATOPOULOS, Associated Press Writer 35 minutes ago

A Greek cruise ship that struck a volcanic reef and forced the evacuation of hundreds of tourists sank on Friday, 15 hours after it began taking on water off the coast of a Mediterranean island. A Frenchman and his daughter were missing, officials said.

Passengers on Thursday climbed down rope ladders to coast guard boats below in a three-hour rescue that involved Greece's military, commercial ships and local fishermen from the island of Santorini. Passengers on the cruise were mostly American, and also included groups from Canada and Spain.

Authorities said two French passengers — a 45-year-old man and his 16-year-old daughter — had still not been accounted for, and lists of rescued passengers were being rechecked.

Tourism Minister Fanny Palli Petralia said she had spoken with the missing passenger's wife.

"The lady said her cabin filled with water when the ship struck rocks and that she narrowly escaped," Petralia said. "She was not sure whether her husband and daughter made it out because things happened so suddenly ... in a few seconds. Her other child was up on deck and was evacuated safely."

Those rescued said most people remained calm though there were some tense moments.

The Sea Diamond struck rocks in the sea-filled crater formed by a volcanic eruption 3,500 years ago. Tourists gathered on clifftop towns and villages to watch the rescue.

"We realized there was a serious problem ... We exited our cabin and it was tough to be able to walk out of the ship. A lot of people were very emotional over it, upset, very frightened," said Stephen Johnson, a Canadian passenger.

An Australian passenger, Katie Sumner, said the early stages of the rescue were chaotic.

"We heard a big shudder and then the whole boat started to tilt," Sumner said.

"All of our glasses were sliding everywhere and our warning that the ship was sinking was some of the staff running down the corridor screaming out 'life jackets' and banging on doors, so we got no time to, sort of, get ready or anything, we just left as we were."

The 469-foot Sea Diamond was operated by Louis Cruise Lines, part of a Cyprus-based tourism group. The Merchant Marine Ministry said 1,195 passengers and 391 crew members were on board.

"Whoever is responsible for this will be held accountable in the strictest way," Petralia said. "Greece is a major tourism destination and incidents like this must not be allowed to occur. ... Authorities handled the rescue very well."

Most of the rescued passengers arrived at Athens' main port of Piraeus Friday on a chartered ferry and a Louis cruise ship.

Authorities on Santorini said they were working to contain a small oil spillage from the sunken ship.

The Sea Diamond's captain and three officers were being interviewed Friday by coast guard investigators who flew to Santorini.

More than 300 rescued passengers arrived at Athens' main port of Piraeus early Friday on a chartered ferry, and more were due to arrive later in the day on another Louis cruise ship.

The Sea Diamond was built in 1986 and refurbished in 1999.

___

Associated Press writer John F.L. Ross and AP television staff contributed to this report.

No way! I heard about it on CNN yesterday but it sounded like they had stabilized it after they evacuated everyone. I'm planning to go to Greece this summer. I'll have to check it out and see if it's diveable.

Edit- never mind. 200m down is a bit beyond my range :)

I also thought it was under control yesterday. Obviously it wasnt,wow!
Wonder what the pricetag is for something like that? Do yall think the officers on crew will be blackballed?

Bloody hell. Two people missing (hopefully to be found alive), so a rather lossless wreck with regards to human lives. Why couldn't they have had the decency to run aground and subsequently sink this beauty in 130 - 200fsw instead of 200m? :(

From the picture I saw, it looks like it sank upside down anyway. I too was thinking that if it ran aground, it should have sunk in fairly shallow water. Guess not!

I would bet they will raise and re-fit the ship. Time will tell.

Dave

bdshort:
From the picture I saw, it looks like it sank upside down anyway. I too was thinking that if it ran aground, it should have sunk in fairly shallow water. Guess not!

Having been to Santorini before, I can tell you that there's no real shallow water. The island is basically the tip of a huge volcano that blew it's top off. This is why the island is crescent-shaped. The island slopes off very steeply on all sides, so I can easily see how it would have sunk very near to shore and be in 200m of water.

texdiveguy:
... "Whoever is responsible for this will be held accountable in the strictest way," Petralia said. "Greece is a major tourism destination and incidents like this must not be allowed to occur. ... Authorities handled the rescue very well."

I doubt that. Anyone know the story of the OCEANOS and its sinking? The captain bailed on the FIRST rescue helicopter ride and he is still a captain today. He recieved no reprimand at all.

Back
Top Bottom