THE MEG - Official Trailer #1 [HD]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There no sharks in the Great Lakes! See my siggy! :D

I won’t be going to see this movie. I’ve not been able to watch the original Jaws all the way through, either.

I'm not going to lie, if they did exist today, I'd be a cave diver.

Nah...there would be guided tours where divers fed them.

Bleck. Admittedly, I thought the book was fun when I was in high school. Then critical thinking and a sequel that was even more ridiculously over the top got in the way. About the only thing I'm curious about here is how the trailer shows the setting being changed to SE Asia/China (the book starts off in the Marianas Trench, moves to Hawaiian waters, and then the finale in California) and how much this movie represents a blatant cash grab in that market.

Bear in mind, this is coming from someone who still loves Jaws despite the negative consequences that movie had for sharks.

I did not know this was a book! I might have to read it before watching it.

Looks to be the best shark movie since deep blue sea.

Did you know they made a deep blue sea 2 last year? It looks horrible lol

I did not know this was a book! I might have to read it before watching it.

Looks to be the best shark movie since deep blue sea.

Did you know they made a deep blue sea 2 last year? It looks horrible lol

Comparing it to Deep Blue Sea is setting the bar ridiculously low.

Going off my own memory, the whoppers in the book included the following:

• The opening scene has a T-rex wading into the surf in pursuit of prey and winding up as a meg's lunch. Except going by the fossil records, megalodon turned up around 23 million years ago ... 42 million years after the last T-rex bit the dust. It's a worse anachronism than a meg turning up alive today.
  • The novel pulls out the discredited dating of the youngest megalodon teeth at about 10,000 years old; this was due to the manganese dioxide deposits they were found in. Current estimates have them going extinct around 2.6 million years ago.
  • The entire premise of megalodon's survival is that the hydrothermal vents in the Marianas Trench maintain a layer of warm water that the species can thrive in. One, hydrothermal vents have never been found in the Marianas Trench. Two, warm water rises; while it's possible the flow out of a hydrothermal vent would have enough mineral content to overcome this the result probably wouldn't be something a shark would want washing over its gills. Three, compared to the volume of 34-39 F water in the trench hydrothermal vents would be like a campfire in winter as far as heating the overall environment up.
  • The megs in the book are borderline psychotic; the shark that escapes to the surface does so by attacking a smaller individual whose blood keeps it warm during the ascent (never mind how ridiculous this is) and later eats one of its own offspring right out of the chute. Sharks aren't the most sociable critters, but this is beyond "survival of the fittest" and into the animal version of the DSM-V.
  • The shark that escapes to the surface sets off on a Pacific-wide rampage; the scientists are able to track its progress via whale strandings. Never mind that whales currently deal with transient orcas, which have been hypothesized to be one of the reasons megalodon went extinct.
  • The rampaging shark proceeds to sink the old USS Nautilus (SSN-571) and a disarmed Perry-class frigate. The first case has the added facepalm that the Nautilus had her nuclear propulsion system removed between 1979 and 1985 before being towed back to Groton, Connecticut as a museum ship. In both cases we're expected to believe that a 50-60 ton shark can inflict enough damage on a 4000-ton steel-hulled warship to sink it. It's especially egregious given that the shark has some trouble cracking through a specially-designed Lexan shark cage.
  • The way the shark is dispatched ... I'm not drunk enough to even try to explain how that happens.
That's just in the first book. The second one goes even more off kilter and since much of the action takes place within the Marianas Trench, gets into the author's apparent fetish for describing what happens to the occupants of a submarine when it implodes.

For the TV Tropes take: Meg (Literature) - TV Tropes

Could be a comedy if they had used heliox voices.

Back
Top Bottom