The Maldives in 4k HDR - Using Sony A7Siii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daniel French

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Please find a few video's below I've created from a recent trip to the Maldives (Dec-2020).
All the video's are recorded in 4K HDR - which can be viewed in HDR on compatible devices.

Please give them a thumbs up :thumb: / comment / subscribe to my channel :)

KudaRah Thila with tens of thousands of Blue Striped Yellow Snappers, South Ari Atoll

Nurse Sharks at Alimatha, Vaavu Atoll

Manta Ray Cleaning Station, North Ari Atoll

First Test Footage on Sony A7siii, Nauticam Housing, WACP-1, Keldan Lights - HDR HLG, 4k 60p

There's a number of other video's in the pipeline, so please subscribe to my channel to see them all as they are released.

Great videos! How did you like the A7S3? It obviously gets amazing results, but was it easy to use?

On a side note, I was surprised to see that much life on the reef but hardly any sign of sharks (other than the nurse sharks and a couple Black Tip Reef Sharks) or other predators.

Great videos! How did you like the A7S3? It obviously gets amazing results, but was it easy to use?
Thank you very much :)
Yes the A7S3 is great to use, so long as you know how to control a camera and ensure a custom white balance is taken before each shot - I'm sure it'd work easily as a point and shoot camera, but the results may be varied.

On a side note, I was surprised to see that much life on the reef but hardly any sign of sharks (other than the nurse sharks and a couple Black Tip Reef Sharks) or other predators.
Most of the sharks in the Maldives like to hang out in the Channels, whilst the fish hang out on the reefs.

Hey Daniel, really nice videos! Very interesting how you get the colours so nice. Your set-up is out of my price range! I'm using a Pana GH5, relying on UR-PRO red filter and manual WB in places like the Maldives and Palau (when I could still travel....), but getting acceptable colours without grading in post is really the Holy Grail! Even with the GH5 I usually find I have to do something in post, e.g. dial back the red to avoid a purple hue to the blue background.
Thanks for posting!
Cheers,
Matt

Hey Daniel, really nice videos! Very interesting how you get the colours so nice. Your set-up is out of my price range! I'm using a Pana GH5, relying on UR-PRO red filter and manual WB in places like the Maldives and Palau (when I could still travel....), but getting acceptable colours without grading in post is really the Holy Grail! Even with the GH5 I usually find I have to do something in post, e.g. dial back the red to avoid a purple hue to the blue background.
Thanks for posting!
Cheers,
Matt

Hi Matt - nice to meet you :) and thank you very much for the comment! Just checked out your video's and they look great too!

The colours using the setup I have in 4K HDR are pretty much out of the camera like that... Yes there's a very small amount of post production work, but not much at all...

I have a few points that really help me, which I've listed below (sorry if you know all of these, just sharing my knowledge in the hope it is found of use):-
  1. Use natural lighting as much as you can
  2. Custom white balance before every shot (I know it's a pain, but it's worth it - I take a small translucent slate with me, which pulls in some of the blue colours, and helps with the balance. I have this on my BCD on a recoiling leash, so it nice and easy to do before every shot).
  3. Use good quality red filters that don't block out too much light - my choice is Keldan
  4. Use good quality lights, but don't 'blast' your subjects with light. They should be used to just kiss the subjects with some illumination - my choice here being keldan again, as their ambient light filters compliment their red filters.
  5. Get close to the subjects
  6. Remember - not every shot will be good, so be prepared to either delete a lot (which always hurts!) or really consider which shots you think will come out well and which one's may not.
  7. When you do have a good subject take time to record it in all it's beauty :heart:
  8. Enjoy what you're doing :)

Here's another clip I put together showing what's possible in 4k HDR:-

Ha! well, I guess you won't be surprised to know that I agree with virtually everything there :) BTW, that's the first time I ever heard of anyone else using a translucent slate for WB. Mine is actually from a particular brand of detergent bottle (you can see it on my Vimeo page), and I just stumbled on it by trial and error back when I was using my GH2. Much better results than a solid white or grey slate, for me anyway.
I think the Keldans look very interesting. Seems like a great idea to balance the light with ambient light, but Keldans are out of my league for the moment. When I do use a video light, it's my old Kowalski Maxum, which pumps out just 1600 lumens from its halogen bulb with its huge battery..., but with the huge advantage of a CRI of 100. It's usually OK for subjects less than a metre away and for night dives, but obviously modern LEDs are way more efficient.
Your "highlights" video looks great on my t.v.! Can't wait to get to the Maldives again....
Cheers,
Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom