The luggage weighting game

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schwob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, when travelling by air all of you will have their checked luggage weighted and it must be at or under (pending where and in what class, with what perks one travels) a certain weight limit.

Some may have experienced the same with your carry-on luggage.

In those places, where your carry-on luggage was weighted, what was actually weighted and what did you find out was the enforced carry on luggage weight limit actually for:

a.) Just the carry on bag was weighted. Neither personal bag nor pants- / shirt- / jacket- / vest- -pocket contents were weighted.

b.) The carry on bag was weighted AND the personal bag were weighted,
but pants- / shirt- / jacket- / vest- -pocket contents were NOT weighted.
In that case, did the carry on weight limit then apply to both bags, carry on and personal combined or individual each or?
Which airline did you fly with & where did that occur?

c.) Even the pockets content was weighted.
That doesn't really happen (yet) - or?

I've been from the USA to Mexico, Grand Cayman, Puerto Rico, Honduras, Hawaii, Curacao, Canada, United Kingdom, Italy, Germany, Taiwan, Singapore, Japan, and Thailand. I've never had my carry-on weighed, or seen anyone else get it weighed. I've heard they used to do it, but with all the digital kiosks, online check-in, and minimal service counters, I doubt they do anymore. Nobody weighs your clothes. Some people even wear utility vests (like fishermen wear) to fill the pockets with heavy stuff.

I think you are worrying about nothing. Keep you checked bag within the weight limit. Don't bring an obnoxiously large carry-on, and don't worry about it.

Same here, though I mostly fly within Canada. It was only 2-3 years ago that they stopped allowing one free checked bag--guess they finally learned from the U.S.
I use a laptop bag as my "personal item" but fill it full with other stuff. Never had carry-on or personal item weighed. Though I always notice those metal "measuring" things for carry-ons. Most carry-ons are the standard size now--the ones with wheels, that are obviously too big to fit in those metal thingys.

I've never seen what anyone is wearing weighed. If someone were to actually wear their BC over a cargo vest with stuffed pockets, I dunno.

I don't think I've seen personal items weighed, but I would not swear to it. I may have had it happen for a small plane (they may even ask/guesstimate your weight.)

I have absolutely had and seen carry-ons weighed. Not usually in the Caribbean unless it's a small plane - sometimes they just want to make some bucks on fees, and sometimes they want to know how much the plane is going to weigh, and if they're going to leave some of it for another flight. Yes it happens.

In the Indo-Pacific region, on a non-US carrier - the size and weight rules on paper are restrictive, and it's a major crapshoot when they will be enforced. I try to stick to them as I don't like the alternative, and I would never suggest anyone simply not worry about it.

Online checkin does not prevent them from weighing your carryon - I've run into scales at the gate. (Got nabbed that way by Qantas once.) Some parts of the world you'll see a lot less of anything like kiosks, there are still lots of people employed doing this stuff - probably where things are most likely to get weighed. I've definitely had carryon weighed a couple times during several trips in the Philippines - I'd say it depends on the airport, airline, mood of the agent, phase of the moon, and other circumstances.

All:
I am specifically asking for input from those that had their carry on weighted.
We got the right sized carry on packs for international carriers and personal bags in the proper prescribed "under the seat size". This is not about size, it's all about weight.

@gr8jab & @TMHeimer
Thanks. I understand where you are coming from and that you are meaning well. I am travelling a few decades now, albeit likely not as or much as frequent as you and only 2x internationally so far with scuba gear. But maybe due to some necessary extra budget-minded-ness (and therefore carrier choice?), I most certainly already managed to get my and my son's scuba trip carry on weighted. But, luckily not the intentionally considerably heavier personal bags... So, I do intend to plan ahead as for an upcoming trip with 4 people extra fees would add up... and as I just really am curious if anyone ever experienced case "b" or "c".
Case "a" is a given in some places. It definitely happens.

@Damselfish

We share having experienced case "a", but not having experienced cases "b" and / or "c". You mention the Philippines... That's where we will be going (first timers). The plan is to keep the carry on under the limit (just as soon as I am certain of ehat that is) and pack all the heavy, smaller stuff into the personal bags and if need be put first stages and other heavier stuff into pockets... Of course I am still not sure what to think about having the regulators with us and not in checked luggage. Reading quite conflicting opinions / experiences about that and the rules of regulators not being allowed in carry on in the Philippines. The plan (hope) for getting there is to bring them on board in a personal bag (The regs and one spare first and second for all 4 of us fit into one bag..... just...and it's heavy). All other "must haves" like camera/s, computers, DCs, housings... and scuba gear is going into carry on backpacks and other personal bags (there's 4 of us). Checked Luggage is checked through. But our lay overs are short enough to not count 100% on the checked luggage making it. Anything arriving a day and a tad late to an island away from where we land may not make it onto our "dive safari". Hence the need for pretty much checking just the non-essentials...

Also, even so we do not depart from an airport in the Philippines on the way there (by intent), the last leg from Seoul to Cebu is with Asiana. Any idea if they enforce the "Philippine no regulator rule" at Incheon? On the way back we can consider putting regulators into checked luggage...No harm if they come a couple days late there ... but I'd hate to loose them of course...

(I know I am de-railing my own thread here, which is really not meant to be Philippines specific, but you mentioned them and we are going there and of course I have to ask...)

I've been from the USA to Mexico, Grand Cayman, Puerto Rico, Honduras, Hawaii, Curacao, Canada, United Kingdom, Italy, Germany, Taiwan, Singapore, Japan, and Thailand. I've never had my carry-on weighed, or seen anyone else get it weighed. I've heard they used to do it, but with all the digital kiosks, online check-in, and minimal service counters, I doubt they do anymore. Nobody weighs your clothes. Some people even wear utility vests (like fishermen wear) to fill the pockets with heavy stuff.

I think you are worrying about nothing. Keep you checked bag within the weight limit. Don't bring an obnoxiously large carry-on, and don't worry about it.

we had both both our carry on bags weighed on a certain asian airline.Both were over limit for carry one. We walked away to reshuffle stuff then walked through where we needed to go. If your stuff gets weighed and you grab your tickets for checked in bags then just walk away to fix everything on your carry on bags then RUN! nothing really they can do except spy on you that you wont walk away ....

Not really scuba related but yes, I had my carry-on weighted few times.

LAX - Korea and Japan - Taiwan.

One time I had to pay extra $100 to check-in the over-weighted carry-on. After that incident I'm very cognizant of my carry-on weight.

It happens people, be aware.

Not really scuba related but yes, I had my carry-on weighted few times.

LAX - Korea and Japan - Taiwan.

One time I had to pay extra $100 to check-in the over-weighted carry-on. After that incident I'm very cognizant of my carry-on weight.

It happens people, be aware.

happened to us also. Just walk away with the bags to fix the problem. Then go to your terminal. There is no enforcement if you walk away. Sounds crazy but its true. You dont have to pay them a thing. they already took your check in bags. game over. They lose.

All:
I am specifically asking for input from those that had their carry on weighted.
We got the right sized carry on packs for international carriers and personal bags in the proper prescribed "under the seat size". This is not about size, it's all about weight.

@gr8jab & @TMHeimer
Thanks. I understand where you are coming from and that you are meaning well. I am travelling a few decades now, albeit likely not as or much as frequent as you and only 2x internationally so far with scuba gear. But maybe due to some necessary extra budget-minded-ness (and therefore carrier choice?), I most certainly already managed to get my and my son's scuba trip carry on weighted. But, luckily not the intentionally considerably heavier personal bags... So, I do intend to plan ahead as for an upcoming trip with 4 people extra fees would add up... and as I just really am curious if anyone ever experienced case "b" or "c".
Case "a" is a given in some places. It definitely happens.

@Damselfish

We share having experienced case "a", but not having experienced cases "b" and / or "c". You mention the Philippines... That's where we will be going (first timers). The plan is to keep the carry on under the limit (just as soon as I am certain of ehat that is) and pack all the heavy, smaller stuff into the personal bags and if need be put first stages and other heavier stuff into pockets... Of course I am still not sure what to think about having the regulators with us and not in checked luggage. Reading quite conflicting opinions / experiences about that and the rules of regulators not being allowed in carry on in the Philippines. The plan (hope) for getting there is to bring them on board in a personal bag (The regs and one spare first and second for all 4 of us fit into one bag..... just...and it's heavy). All other "must haves" like camera/s, computers, DCs, housings... and scuba gear is going into carry on backpacks and other personal bags (there's 4 of us). Checked Luggage is checked through. But our lay overs are short enough to not count 100% on the checked luggage making it. Anything arriving a day and a tad late to an island away from where we land may not make it onto our "dive safari". Hence the need for pretty much checking just the non-essentials...

Also, even so we do not depart from an airport in the Philippines on the way there (by intent), the last leg from Seoul to Cebu is with Asiana. Any idea if they enforce the "Philippine no regulator rule" at Incheon? On the way back we can consider putting regulators into checked luggage...No harm if they come a couple days late there ... but I'd hate to loose them of course...

(I know I am de-railing my own thread here, which is really not meant to be Philippines specific, but you mentioned them and we are going there and of course I have to ask...)

I go to Cebu philippines with a scuba backpack carry on. It contains my bcd which is super thin and super light. my regulator, both dive computers, both face masks, and my 3 mil wetsuit. all in one carry on. To P.I. and also mexico. Dont listen to anyone that says you cant do it. TSA allows it and no one can take your regulator away. They may stop you and have a manager look at it but thats all.

and yes have done incheon to cebu no problems

Other countries don't necessarily care what TSA allows. They have their own rules.

A carry-on doesn't have to be weighed at checkin. I went through some Phil airport where there was a weigh in line before you got to the gate. Forget which one. There was some real creativity going on there.

I don't think a flight from another country into the Philippines will be an issue for carryon regs, especially if it's not a Philippines airline. But I don't think I've tried since they started that rule. Leaving I'm not sure, may depend on the airline. A domestic flight within Philippines, I personally would not chance it. And thing is, you have to pack for the whole trip anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom