The Kessel Run

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania

Diving Polymath
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
On a large pile of smokin' A'a, the most isolated
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Been doing the kessel-run lately?

Im all metric, since well, I live in a part of the world thats not holding on for its bare life to feet and inches because we "dont have a relationship to meters" :eyebrow:
For those of you who don't know, the Kessel Run's an 18-parsec route used by smugglers to move glitterstim spice from Kessel to an area south of the Si'Klaata Cluster without getting caught by the Imperial ships that were guarding the movement of spice from Kessel's mines. Worlds along the Kessel Run included Fwillsving, Randa, Rion, and possibly Zerm.

It took travelers in real space around The Maw leading them to an uninhabitable—but far easier to navigate—area of space called The Pit, which was an asteroid cluster encased in a nebula arm making sensors as well as pilots go virtually blind. Thus there was a high chance that pilots, weary from the long flight through real space, would crash into an asteroid.

Han Solo bragged that his Millennium Falcon, "made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs." But, a parsec's a unit of distance, not of time. Solo was not referring directly to his ship's speed when he made this claim. Instead, he was referring to the shorter route he was able to travel by skirting the nearby Maw black hole cluster, thus making the run in less than the standard distance. By navigation closer to the black holes, Solo managed to use bent space to cut the distance down to about 11.5 parsecs. The smuggler, BoShek, actually beat Solo's record in his ship, Infinity, but without cargo to weigh him down. But a few months later, Han Solo beat both his own and BoShek's records in a run he made with Luke Skywalker ... OK, OK, I guess were all bozos on this bus, or at least geeks!:D

Actually that's the story from the the pre-theatrical release version of the novelization by Alan Dean Foster (you don't think I could make that up, do you?).

Actually that's the story from the the pre-theatrical release version of the novelization by Alan Dean Foster (you don't think I could make that up, do you?).

I thought they changed the novelisation to say "twelve Standard Time Units."? :)

They did, in the post theatrical release edition. In the radio serialization it was changed to, "less than twelve time parts."

They did, in the post theatrical release edition. In the radio serialization it was changed to, "less than twelve time parts."

I think we both need to get out more :eyebrow:

Actually I'm not particularly interested in Star Wars, but my son got bit by the bug bad when he was about four and started playing Pod Racer on the computer my mom got him. He is blessed (or cursed) with my almost photographic and extremely eclectic memory and he learned to read at an early age on Tolkien and the Star Wars novels.

Actually I'm not particularly interested in Star Wars, but my son got bit by the bug bad when he was about four and started playing Pod Racer on the computer my mom got him. He is blessed (or cursed) with my almost photographic and extremely eclectic memory and he learned to read at an early age on Tolkien and the Star Wars novels.

I'm not interested in it either actually (though I love scifi, but mainly books), but I have friends who are in a big way and I like stirring them up especially when they defend things like the Kessel Run quote :)

The thing I have to keep reminding my son is, "let the Wookie win.":D

The thing I have to keep reminding my son is, "let the Wookie win.":D

That is something I am told often as well :)

Reminds me of a nice David Letterman gag..

"Trump or Wookie"

Back
Top Bottom