The importance of training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know this isn't about a dive accident, but since it covers an accident and training I learned in diving, I figure this is a good place for this post.

So as I'm driving to my DM course yesterday on the 5 in Anaheim, some crazy college kid goes nuts on the freeway, loses control in the number 3 lane, and nails the guy in front of me in the number 1 lane. Both cars roll and land upside down, with the college kid doing 2 or 3 rolls and stopping just in front of me.

While the response to something like this is fairly intuitive to most people, I have to say that I'm glad I am a newly minted Rescue diver with EFR and O2 training. While we train primarily for in- or near- water rescues and injuries, the speed with which my recent training took over was surprising to me. The first thing I did was to start putting on my barriers as I ran to the nearest car, which as I was doing it, really surprised me. I remembered conciously to assess everything, and after considering the situation, began to help the injured driver. Given that he was begging for help, I assumed implied consent, made sure he had no apparent severe spinal injuries, and with the help of another driver, forced open the door to help him out of the still running (and very much smoking) car.

The guy was ok, but obviously in some sort of shock and bleeding badly from a number of areas. After securing him, I was able to proceed onto the other driver, who had only minor visual injuries and reported no serious pain.

The point of this is not to toot my own horn, but rather to note that I learned the following valuable lessons yesterday:

1) Training is extremely helpful. I didn't do everything right, but I knew to do some critical things. Had I needed to start CPR, I would have been prepared already with my barriers and a pocket mask in my first aid kit. Encourage your family and friends, even if they're not divers, to take something like EFR. It might have saved someone's life yesterday if the drivers had been more injured. Similarly, even if you don't plan on doing professional dive work, take a rescue diver class and related. It is far more applicable to any situation than you might think and could be what ultimately saves a loved one or close friend from death some day, whether in the water or not.

2) Your first aid kit is understocked. I thought mine was good, but I didn't have a lot of the stuff that I wanted, or it was outdated. Keep it current and well stocked.

3) Seat belts, at least in this case, save lives. The guy I got to was already half way out of his car (read: partially ejected) when it came to rest. He had his windows open, and everything formerly inside was strewn about the freeway. Had he not been wearing his belt, i might have come upon a corpse or a crushed driver. Wear them!

4) Lexus SUVs are apparently darn safe vehicles. The driver of the Lexus, which was hit by the other driver and which also rolled, appeared to have no injuries other than a minor abbrasion to his elbow (a band aid would have fixed it). Granted, he might have had internal injuries, but he looked like a million bucks compared to the other guy. The Lexus was in fantastic shape compared to the Acura.

The bottom line is to train and to continue learning. I didn't think I would need my rescue skills on the freeway, but they ended up coming in darn handy. I can only help that I have the presence of mind to employ them in the water, and that my buddy knows what to do should I ever be in need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom