The flies might be hitting the Westinghouse at work.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The flies might be hitting the Westinghouse at work.

Well, the Captain that just came over from the jail to operations is making life harder every day.

When he was a LT. and on the SWAT team he FUBARed so bad it folded and later restructured after he left operations.

Now he’s screwing with the dive team. He just relieved the Sgt. that has been the head of the team for several years. Who does he replace him with? A non-diving total YES man. He now has a title we have kept from using and that’s the team Divemaster. We have always been a team with a team leader but other than that we are all on an equal plain. So no need for “Divemaster”.

Even though he doesn’t know fins from a weight belt he will now make all the calls involving diving. He thinks he is going to dictate who dives and how we dive. I have only two words to respond with and here are the initials “BS”.

He is not a water person at all but is going to school to get certified for OW and feels that’s all he will need to understand how to run the team.

A few years ago he was the target of one of our rescues when they overloaded a boat for duck hunting and sank it. He laughs about it and he doesn’t have a clue as to how close he came to being a stat.

IF things don’t change in the near future the few of us left on the team are walking out.

Gurrrrrrrr

Gary D.

Isn't it friggn hilariously funny how management types can screw up a well oiled machine. Too many master degrees floating around these days. What happened to experience being the most important quality over education and political ties. Same problem in the military with nugget butter bars.

Is there any way that you can suggest to the "yes" man that he should get AOW and then go for DM as well. Tell him he needs the paper to go with the title. Good luck.

I was with a small town fire dept for about five yrs and they did the same thing. I'd be willing to bet he ends up a dive accident stat if he isnt that comfortable in the water. We got rid of ours by kind of harassing him. He was deathly afraid of "fish". so every chance i got i would catch a burbot and kind of make it swim towards him. The last dive we did was along a pier in charlevoix MI i caught a large burbot sleeping in the rocks. Of course the "Divemaster" couldn't get under the water again and finally caught up. I had my back to him and when he approached the other team members helped me keep my back to him so he didnt know what i had. Last minute i turned and released the fish. It swam right towards his face he almost spit out his reg, and us to as we were all laughing our a*#es off. We of course were ready for him to wigg out and possibly get him a alt air source if need be we wouldnt let him get in that much trouble. when we got out of the water he didnt say a word to the five of us. That was the last dive with him. He got back told the capt he wasnt cut out to put the guy back in charge of the team that used to be.

Maybe you can get him to "want" to resign like we did.

Dont get me wrong i welcome anyone to this sport and love to see people get involved in it. But a person like that can get a dive team into more trouble then needed like the 2 am dive after a snowmobiler that went through the ice and never came up. The dive site was loaded with walleye and he would have totally wigged and gotten someone injured or killed. When he got near fish you would swear he was epileptic the way he thrashed about. He didnt belong in the water.

I wish you luck with him. and maybe you'll have a better experience with management stepping in where they should let the divers do their job.

That is a bunch of BS. Sometimes people do too much thinking when really things were going well just the way that they were. Thats cra*. Hope that things will work out for you soon... wouldn't want them to lose a diver as good as yourself to something like that.

Gary:

When you first made the post regarding the new King Pin, I could sense this day was coming. While your job is to be a police officer, you dive as a benefit to the department. Since it is voluntary duty, the Command needs to go overboard to keep the personnel wanting to continue, rather than create an atmosphere where they want to walk. Unfortunately, unless there is someone above him who values the benefit of the team, you appear to be pretty much screwed.

If this so called divemaster is in anyway going to jeopardize the safety of the team, then the TEAM has no choice other than to walk. Hopefully at that point, someone above will address the situation. Otherwise, this sounds as though it could be the middle of the end of the team (the beginning started when he was appointed).

Good luck with your efforts, but above all else, keep the TEAM members safe.

Dan

There are those that, when given a new position, feel obligated to make changes, be they needed or not.

Basically it's not unlike a tom cat p!ssing on the bushes to mark his territory. It's a common act of someone insecure in his position.

The need to exercise and flex one's power of position in the law enforcement community is not a new characteristic, either . . .

Gary,

Sorry to hear about the troubles. Good luck buddy.

Gary,
I'm sorry, I'd imagined you in a pretty good situation there; then comes the reality bites. I hope you find a way to rectify the situation before your team, or anyone on your team (which is of course the same thing) is damaged.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom