The flexibility of a 28mm prime and 61MP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I spent last week in Cozumel, shooting with my Sony a7rIV and 28mm prime lens. I have a Nauticam WWL-1 to use with it, but I ended up using the WWL very little. Most everything I found to shoot was not "wide" enough to need it. At the moment, the 28mm lens is the only lens available for the Sony that will work with the WWL-1, and so it's the only lens setup I have for underwater use (yet).

That said, I am pretty darn impressed now with the flexibility that that lens and 61MP to crop from gave me.

This Lettuce Leaf Sea Slug was barely bigger than a grain of rice. A longer lens and a macro diopter would, of course, have given me a much better image. But, for me, this is totally fine quality for posting on Facebook and the like. Given all the factors I was working with, I'm quite happy with this.

DSC03263-Edit-Edit-edited.jpg

And for bigger stuff, I was able to shoot the exact same camera/lens and get images like these:

DSC02883-edited.jpg

DSC02682-Edit-Edit-edited.jpg

And then, with the WWL-1 mounted.

DSC02770-Edit-edited.jpg

I've read comments before that 61MP is totally unnecessary. But, that resolution is what gave me this flexibility. I'm upgrading soon, when the Sony 28-60 lens is available. Meanwhile, I'm pretty impressed with what this setup can produce!

I have the A7R3 with the wwl-1 and the 42 I think is enough also. I was in kona and had the same problem where the wwl-1 was almost too wide!! wish I had a macro setup also.

I'm not sure I can identify why, but there is something about that first image. My eyes bounce from the "eyes" and then all over the place and the mix of color and textures is incredible. It is a fascinating image to me. Perhaps since I am somewhat color blind, my perception is different than it should be, but the image amazing to me. A copy of it now sits on my hard drive called trippy slug.

The other images are OK, but they all suffer from obvious weaknesses (just so you don't think I am trying to blow smoke).

The Focal length reminds me of my old canon G12. Not long enough for serious macro not wide enough for wide angle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom