The Fin Database Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-JD-

Eclecticist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Everybody wonders what fins will work for them and getting basic quantitative information about them is nearly impossible. I'd like to create a crowd-sourced database of the basic physical characteristics of the myriad fins that are out there; particularly information that will help peopleto estimate fit and decide on pack-ability.

Qualitative aspects of the various fins are very important, but application/style dependent, and very subjective; they are outside the scope of this project.

Since many of us have some time at them moment, if you can weigh-up and measure-up that pile of fins that you have around, we can generate a good data set for folks to look at and see what might work for them. We'll need info for as many different fins and sizes of those fins as we can get.
I'm requesting help from everybody!

I've pegged the following info for inclusion. Please send it to my by PM, if you would be so kind.

Identifying info:
- Brand:__ ex. Deep 6 Gear
- Model:__ ex. Eddy
- Size:__ ex. XL
- Version:__ ex. Orange Taiwan w/Hang-Hole
- Strap type:__ Spring, Bungee, Rubber, webbing, etc.
- Vintage (approx):__ ex. 2019
- Notes:__ especially, unusual foot pocket characteristics

Measurements: Please specify Imperial (Inches/Pounds) or Metric (cm/kg)

- Dry Weight for the PAIR:__ If you don't have a scale that will read accurately down to tenths of a pound or better, please omit.
- Buoyancy for the PAIR in FRESH water:__ If you can actually measure it, great, otherwise if you can at least give me: Negative, A Little Negative, Neutral, A Little Positive, Positive, etc.

"Packing" info:
- Overall Length:__ tip to back of foot shelf (ignoring straps since they can usually be tucked, removed, etc.).
- Maximum Width:__
- Height of the nested/interlaced pair:__

Foot-pocket info - except for width I am using a Reference Point (RP) on the foot-bed base that is identified by dropping a perpendicular from the center of the foot pocket entrance at the peak:
- Width:__ at the foot-pocket entrance near the foot bed base
- Peak Interior height:__ at the RP
- Depth of the foot pocket:__ toe to RP
- Minimum strap depth:__ RP to strap in its tightest position, unstretched (but taught) position (as if a foot was in it)
- Maximum strap depth:__ RP to strap in its loosest position, stretched as as far as you reasonably can
- Shelf depth:__ RP to back of the foot shelf.

I'll attach the current aggregated info in this post and periodically request that the mods to update it.

Attachments

• FinData.xls
    60 KB · Views: 195
  • FinData.pdf
    75.9 KB · Views: 272
Reserving another post number. Thinking about trying again and adding pictures of the measurement reference points.

You might find this table of interest from Howard Hall's article "Pro Dive Fin Roundup: Everything you need to know to choose and use fins for scuba" In the March 1980 issue of Skin Diver magazine. One of the columns contains the length × breadth data for 42 historical fin models:
upload_2021-9-5_17-47-25.jpeg

The very first comparative study of fin dimensions can be found in W. G. Fischer's March 1957 Naval Experimental Diving Unit publication Comparative Evaluation of Swim Fins, which is downloadable from https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/AD0780665.pdf.

If you are looking for reference points for fin measurements, here is what a long-expired US military specification from February 1965 came up with:
upload_2021-9-5_18-1-35.jpeg

upload_2021-9-5_18-2-3.jpeg

Hope this helps a little with the historical literature of fin metrology!:)

Any update on your spreadsheet? I’m trying to find data on XXL jets
Unfortunately not. (And I have no data for jets.) Other than a single "good idea" in PMs, no one has sent me any information to add, unfortunately. I've subsequently acquired a few additional Force Fin variants to add, but haven't made it a priority since interest has been low.

You might find this table of interest from Howard Hall's article "Pro Dive Fin Roundup: Everything you need to know to choose and use fins for scuba" In the March 1980 issue of Skin Diver magazine. One of the columns contains the length × breadth data for 42 historical fin models:

The very first comparative study of fin dimensions can be found in W. G. Fischer's March 1957 Naval Experimental Diving Unit publication Comparative Evaluation of Swim Fins, which is downloadable from https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/AD0780665.pdf.

If you are looking for reference points for fin measurements, here is what a long-expired US military specification from February 1965 came up with:
Hope this helps a little with the historical literature of fin metrology!:)
Thanks!
I took a look at the Skin Diver chart. It is great for the vintage folks, but I didn't see a current model. :(
The fin measurement spec is really interesting. I'll look at it in some more detail and see if it makes sense to change/incorporate elements

Could you give us the list of the brands and models already in your database to avoid redundant entries, please ?

If you can wait a few weeks, I'b be able to spare time to make the required measurements on the fins I've got at home.

Could you give us the list of the brands and models already in your database to avoid redundant entries, please ?

If you can wait a few weeks, I'b be able to spare time to make the required measurements on the fins I've got at home.
All contributions are welcome!

All that I have measured are in the spreadsheet (2 attachments) on the first post.
I have the following Force Fin variants on hand to measure and add:
XXL Pros
XXL Hockeys
Adjustables

If fin data is flowing in slowly, it may pay to pick the "low-lying fruit" out there online. Take, for example, the DF300 fins made by Adila Manufacturing of Malaysia (ADILA MANUFACTURING). This manufacturer is an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) producing training/snorkelling fins for western brands, among them Eyeline (Australia) (below), Swim Stuff and Water Gear (USA).
it061840.jpg
Eyeline of Australia has published a size table for these fins, which is likely to apply to their Swim Stuff and Water Gear counterparts too:
upload_2021-9-6_6-14-14.jpeg
Cressi too has been more forthcoming than most lately about fin dimensions, e.g.:
upload_2021-9-6_6-19-56.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom