The eternal question... Neoprene or Trilam drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
As per the title, the eternal question is Neoprene or Trilam drysuit?
By now I have 3 mm for pool training and tropical seas and two pieces 5 mm wetsuit which is enough for the Mediterranean sea in late spring, summer and autumn

I am considering diving in the alpine lakes and in Liguria this winter, and I will need a drysuit
In the beginning I won't buy it, I want to get some experience in diving with different kinds of drysuits on rent before choosing the one I want to buy. Anyway I would like to get some advice on advantages and disadvantages of both types. I noticed there are several old threads but since they look quite old I am opening a new one

Thanks

Are you drysuit certified? You may not be allowed to rent one without a drysuit very.

For me the reasons I did choose for trilam are simple.
In the summer you adjust the undersuit and don’t overheat.
It doesn’t compress at depth.

Thanks for starting this discussion ; the Canadian fall made me realized that 14 mm wetsuit will soon not be an option. So I am too looking at dry suits and am facing the same dilemma.

I am generalising here but not much.

Neoprene suits are cheaper, they still provide some warmth even if you get wet inside and are generally easier to get a good fit (stretchier)

They are also compressible so buoyancy management can be a lot more challenging.

Trilam gives a wide range of undergarment options but is pricier and if flooded there is no warmth provided. There is no compression to speak of and so weighting is easier.

My first drysuit was a Bare XCS2 Tech, which is compressed neoprene. Then I got a trilam. Then I got another trilam. I don't see ever going back to any type of neoprene.

The neo was heavier (by a lot). Neo takes forever to dry - compared to my trilams, anyway. The neo trapped more air in its nooks and crannys and seemed to be just a tad more challenging to dive. My trilams feel like they really shrinkwrap onto my body as soon as I submerge, and end up with less air inside.

My trilams are more tolerant of different amounts of undergarment. My suit fits me well whether I have on almost no undergarments or whether I have my thickest. The neo only fit the best with one configuration of undergarments. Anything else meant it was a bit too loose or a bit too tight.

Trilam doesn't give as much inherent insulation, but I'm okay with just wearing slightly warmer undergarments to make up for that. If I'm going to get a hole/leak in my suit during a dive, I'd rather be wearing a trilam with Merino wool underneath than a neo with nothing underneath.

Are you drysuit certified? You may not be allowed to rent one without a drysuit very.
That must vary from shop to shop. I have never got any kind of drysuit certification and I rented a few before buying the one I own now. My suit did come with some free training, but there was no card/agency involved.

All things being equal, in cold water like Monterey, I would go neoprene, better fit, less squeeze and warmer with less undergarments which requires less lead. My neoprene suit is a rear shoulder zip which requires someone else to help zip it, my Trilaminate which is out for a new zipper is more versatile being front zip, I can solo dive easier with it.

Back
Top Bottom