The Emerald Waters of Alaska

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

breathtaking photos.

Cool shots! Looks just like home, except for the lack of big chunks in the water for your strobes to bounce off of and ruin the picture.

Whoops! I just checked my dive log, and first image was taken on the Canadian side of the border at a site called Foggy Bay (near Dundas). So that should have read The Emerald Waters of Canada. The second dive was in Alaska proper, off of Baranof island.

Larry: The vis in the top 30-40ft was pretty poor, but it really opened up at depth. Controlling backscatter is always a challenge in cold water. I had my strobes extended very far and really flared out.

I have never seem any thing like that.
I keep telling tropical divers that coral reefs are beautiful, but they are missing 3/4 of the worlds oceans! They keep getting hung up on the water temp, but I tell people that you don't ski naked, you put on a jacket. Similarly, you don't dive naked. With a good drysuit 45F water is a piece of cake.

I tried a dry suit in 45F water and even with woolie undies, I was cold. I had a hard time putting my face in the water to get my fins on. But I am saving for a dry suit and I think with different undergarments and hood and stuff, it might be OK. But that is about a year away.

Keeping a drysuit warm is all about the undies (and keeping it dry of course). If you are still getting cold, you need thicker undergarments, or another layer, with the corresponding increase in lead to counteract the increased buoyancy. People forget that the drysuit keeps you dry, the underwear keeps you warm. This trip had some of the most interesting diving I have ever done. I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Back
Top Bottom