The easy way of putting on fins!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DameDykker

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just wanted to tell you about a little trick I just found (maybe not as the first?). Anyway I have had problems getting my fins on since I started diving dry. The boots in the suit is bigger than I would have prefered (But then all the thermo socks fit in!) and consequently to bring up the fin straps over the heel takes some determination. Furthermore, I'm not particular limber and with all the gear on - including 16 kg on the belt - I find it difficult to reach the finstrap and apply enough force to get it over the heel and all the way over the little rigde on the boot that holds up the strap. Until now I made my poor bodys help getting them pesky things on.

No to the INVENTION: I put a piece of rope (ca. 1') through the hole in the strap and knotted it together in a ring. Now I can grap the rope and pull on the strap without assistance. Another step on the way of getting self sufficiant. And yes, I intent to splice the rope after its been proven a few more times.

Hope somebody else can use this little trick.

DSAO

Rope rings on your fin straps hmm. In my opinion its just more surface area and you are more likely to get a fin snagged underwater. I use Mares ABS buckles so i dont have any problem donning my fins on my own. :)

Yes, you are right. However, I don't fit Mares fins, so I have to find another way. And on most of the dives a do snagging is not an issue. But I'm still perfecting the system. And it is so much cheaper that a new pair of fins.

DSAO

You could just loop the rope through the fin straps without tying. To pull the straps up just make sure you grab both ends of the rope. After the strap is in place,simply release one end of the rope and continue to pull until the rope is released from the strap.
Anyway you want to go....Thanks for the advice

spring heel straps. You can buy 'em for about $40 at various dive centers on the web (Lloyd Bailey's scuba, Northeast scuba supply, etc.), or make your own. They're quick and easy to put on and take off without any snagging involved. They also stay put once they're put on, and you don't have to worry about any quick release buckles quickly releasing on ya. Just a suggestion.

-Seth

DD, I find it difficult to believe that the boots on your suit won't fit in ANY Mares fins; they come in a wide variety of boot pocket sizes.

I have two pairs of fins: one for diving wet and one for diving dry. I bought both used, so they weren't too expensive.

~SubMariner~

Hej DameDykker,

I have a small trick in this area as well - spray the inside of the foot pocket with silicone spray - then you will not have to "pull" the fin on - rather it just slides right on...
Try it - I don't think there would be any reason to buy new fins - I fail to see how one brand is going to come on better than another brand of fins unless it is a sizing issue - and I woudl alos recommend the spring straps - so mush more reliable than those plastic buckles, made to break...

Cheers,
Terkel

Back
Top Bottom