The Dive Shop, Mayaguez, PR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KP3S

Contributor
Reaction score
Isabela, Puerto Rico, 3 miles from the Atlantic Co
# of dives
200 - 499
The Dive Shop, a PADI Dive Center, Not affiliated with any other LDS with the same name in the mainland of USA or Canada, in the City Town of Mayaguez, West Puerto Rico. Is a medium size shop that is well stock with merchandise, a brand new air fill station that can fill up to 5 tanks, very clean, the Owner, Jaime "Papo" Braulio Jr. is friendly, very hard working and honest individual with 2 vessels, Papasan I (currently been overhauled) and Papasan II (that just got overhauled including a fresh paint job) that can accommodate 6 divers. The Dive Shop is an authorized Scuba Pro and Oceanic dealer that perform service/repairs, air fill, certifications, Hydrostatic testing.

We started the day at 7:30 am and meet at the shop, divers got their equipment and weights, we followed "Papo" to his private pier 2 minutes away by car from the shop. Before we got into the boat he gave us a safety briefing that was full of details about the safety gear on board followed by information about our first dive, Nariz (Nose) site, with a depth of 90 feet, 8 miles out. Just as we where getting ready to board the vessel, "Papo" told us that his boat is Japanese style meaning we have to leave our foot gear at the pier. We boarded the vessel barefooted and done out diving boots.

The Ocean was very calm considering the awful weather Puerto Rico had the last couple of weeks due to several cold fronts. The whole trip to the fist dive site "Papo" was giving us a chat about the area, local fishermen and what we could encounter at the dive site. Once arrived on site, the Captain first mate, Edgar, start working with the buoy, removing the safety chain from the diving platform and the ladder. All the divers got ready before the boat arrived to the site, so we just slip into our BCD's put on the fins and mask and got into the diving platform with the help from Edgar, one by one divers entered the water and grabbed the rope with the buoy until "Papo" joined us and started to swim toward the from of the boat to grab the rope for the anchor and waiting for our DM Papo to give us the ok to start our decent and waited until he joined us at the bottom.

We followed DM Papo while he gave us the tour of the dive site and the first thing I saw was a large Sea Turtle followed by an Eagle Ray too far for my camera range but right after that I saw my first of many Nurse Shark taking a nap next to a 10 foot wall just before entering a large cavern open at both ends. This was going to be a great day for diving. DM Papo has a keen eye for marine life and was pointing to us the points of interest in our first dive. The visibility was about 40 feet and the group stayed 3-5 feet above the bottom to keep from disturbing the sand. We where having a bit of trouble with waves currents underwater as we struggle to keep in a straight line but other than that it was a very nice dive.

When we got out of the water after our mandatory 15 foot safety stop, we had soft drinks, water and a light snack and proceeded to our second dive site, this one was named Nariz (Nose) and the average depth is about 40 feet. Once in the water again we waited for all the divers to be on the water and moved to the front of the boat and grab a hold of the anchor rope for our decent 40 feet below the boat. This one was a bit easier since the current that we encounter in our first dive site was weaker. I was not too long before we saw our first Nurse shark napping, then two more and three more. This place was crawling with Nurse Sharks. I had a field day taking photos of all this sharks and I got as close as 3 feet from one Nurse Shark. It was exciting and the adrenalin was pumping but I manage to keep my breathing under control. After about 45 minutes we finished the dive, did our 15 foot safety stop and got back on the boat. Another completed dive. Captain Papo started the engine and headed back to his private pier not too fast so we have time to admire the scenery and taking more pictures.

Weather Conditions: Clear and sunny
Surface temperature: 83º F
Seas: Small waves
Bottom Temperature: 79º F
Currents: moderate
Visibility: 40+ feet
Total trip time: 4 hours 50 minutes
Cost: $75.00 without rental gear
$90.00 with BCD, Regulator

If you are in Mayaguez, PR give Papo Braulio at The Dive Shop a call and setup a trip with him, you will get a professional dive guide, small group and an exiting adventure for a very reasonable price. All the rental equipment is in top shape and you will have fun watching out close Nurse Sharks in their natural habitat.

Carlos Rodriguez, Owner
Dive West Puerto Rico
info@DiveWestPR.com

Attachments

• PICT0058.JPG
    PICT0058.JPG
    314.5 KB · Views: 138
  • PICT0059.JPG
    PICT0059.JPG
    270.3 KB · Views: 111
  • PICT0060.JPG
    PICT0060.JPG
    315.2 KB · Views: 143
  • PICT0061.JPG
    PICT0061.JPG
    300 KB · Views: 100
  • PICT0063.JPG
    PICT0063.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 106
  • PICT0074.JPG
    PICT0074.JPG
    298.1 KB · Views: 94
  • PICT0076.JPG
    PICT0076.JPG
    253.4 KB · Views: 97
  • PICT0082.JPG
    PICT0082.JPG
    273.9 KB · Views: 106
  • PICT0094.JPG
    PICT0094.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 96
  • PICT0102.JPG
    PICT0102.JPG
    284.9 KB · Views: 103
  • PICT0107.JPG
    PICT0107.JPG
    328.1 KB · Views: 104
  • PICT0108.JPG
    PICT0108.JPG
    305.1 KB · Views: 95
  • PICT0129.JPG
    PICT0129.JPG
    303.1 KB · Views: 91
  • PICT0130.JPG
    PICT0130.JPG
    336.4 KB · Views: 91
  • PICT0104.JPG
    PICT0104.JPG
    293.6 KB · Views: 114
Correction: proceeded to our second dive site, this one was named Gata (Nurse Shark in spanish) with the average depth is about 40 feet.

Attachments

• The_Dive_Shop.jpg
    The_Dive_Shop.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:
I know Papo Braulio for years, his operation was started by His Father who passed away recently...I agree with the above report. I will be diving with him on my trip to PR next March....

Papo is great as long as he does not use that damn divers alert. I hate that quack quack........

Very True! I think that is something he inherit from his DAD adn he wants to keep the tradition alive. Specially after his DAD's passsing..

Very True! I think that is something he inherit from his DAD adn he wants to keep the tradition alive. Specially after his DAD's passsing..

Yeah but it really messes you up when taking photos.......

Back
Top Bottom