The difference between a SEAL and a Navy Diver.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DCBC

Banned
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Over the years I've been asked about Commercial and Military Diving. I've received several PMs on the subject and thought that I'd post this for those who may be interested. One area that is often discussed is how the military might be an avenue for diver training.

Personally, I believe my involvement as a Navy Diving Officer has stood me in good stead in my civilian career as a commercial diver. I'd recommend anyone to follow the same course. It's first useful to differentiate between the types of divers that the military train. As the largest majority of the questions have come from the US, this has been the focus of this posting.

Divers are used by most branches of the military (not just the Navy), but these are primarily involved in combat roles (and SAR). As it relates to the skill-sets of Commercial Diving, the Navy is the only one that's active.

SEAL (Sea Air Land) Special Warfare Operative

A SEAL is involved in "direct action warfare." Duties include insertions and extractions by sea, air or land to accomplish covert, Special Warfare / Special Operations missions, capturing high-value enemy personnel and terrorists, collecting information and intelligence, carrying out small-unit, direct-action missions against military targets, performing underwater reconnaissance and the demolition of natural or man-made obstacles prior to amphibious landings. In short a SEAL is a war fighter.

Training focuses on physical conditioning, combat diving (utilizing open-circuit (compressed air) and closed-circuit (100% oxygen), land warfare and air operations.

Contrary to public opinion, a SEAL does not use mixed-gas, or are they involved in saturation diving scenarios. The SEAL is a stranger to the Deep Sea (there is no need to go deep to accomplish a beach insertion).

NAVY Diver

A NAVY Diver isn't generally considered to be a war fighter; although they may be called upon in Explosive Ordinance Disposal (EOD) situations. Their job is to perform a variety of diving salvage operations, underwater construction and demolition projects, search and rescue missions, lend support to military and civilian law enforcement agencies, serve as the technical experts for diving evolutions for Special Operations units and carry out routine ship/submarine maintenance (restoration and repair), deep submergence (saturation, research) utilizing various equipment including open/closed circuit mixed-gas, atmospheric suits (JIM), the Deep Submarine Rescue Vehicle (DSRV), ROVs and are also involved in Hyperbaric Research.

The Seabees also employ Commercial Divers for construction purposes. The difference between a NAVY Diver and a Seabee Diver (if I can use this term) is that a NAVY Diver (like a SEAL) may be recruited from the general public, where a Seabee may not. Seabee Divers must first serve a tour in a Seabee unit before applying to become a diver.

The physical screening test requirements are the same, with the exception that the SEAL must do a minimum of 10 pull-ups in 2 mins. opposed to 6 for a NAVY Diver. Also the 1.5 mile run time must be done in under 10.5 mins opposed to under 12.5 mins for the NAVY Diver. Neither of these physical requirements are difficult for most applicants.

Hopefully this may be of some help.

Back
Top Bottom