The Devils Teeth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

karmajewell

Registered
Reaction score
The Devils Teeth by Susan Casey is a true story about one lucky journalist who had an exclusive opputunity to tag along out at the Farllon Islands and document the studies of great white sharks. She got to live there with the many scientist and completly submerse herself into their work with theses amazing animals. By far one of my favorite books!

Great book. Very well written, but the author received a lot of criticism about being self absorbed, and incompetent. Much of which I feel she deserved.

Great book. Very well written, but the author received a lot of criticism about being self absorbed, and incompetent. Much of which I feel she deserved.

Is this criticism of her behavior in the book, or generally? I've read it and was enthralled by it, and I particularly enjoyed reading from the perspective of someone without a specific expertise in the field--I felt she was very honest about her inexperience with sharks, boats, the science, etc.

I think the criticism was directed at her for her behavior that cost the research director on the island his job and the fact that she managed to lose a leased yacht. The boat was actually recovered later, but still her boat skill and expertise were well below substandard.

Art

PS In spite of my comments, I did enjoy the book.

Yep.

But stories where everything goes right are boring. This book was far from boring.

Maybe its just me, but I find the screen name and avatar of the poster directly above very unsettling.....

Very good book I thought. To bad it cost Peter his research job with the whole lost yacht fiasco.

I think the criticism was directed at her for her behavior that cost the research director on the island his job and the fact that she managed to lose a leased yacht. The boat was actually recovered later, but still her boat skill and expertise were well below substandard.

Art

PS In spite of my comments, I did enjoy the book.

The research director's judgement was poor due largely to the fact that he was tiring of the job IMO, hence his statement that his tenure had run it's course upon termination.

What martime expections are generally expected of a guest female magazine editor from NYC? Were we reading the same book? All in good fun!

I thought the book was an ok read but a bit self absorbed. I good tale for protection of the shark population though. I can always get behind that.

Days until I get to Saba and Statia [countdown=10/16/2010 8:00 AM]Count down:[/countdown]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom