The definition of Recreational Diving vs. Technical.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
These definitions have been around longer than I have been diving.

Recreational Diving
  • Limit to 130'.
  • No overhead environments such as a Cave.
  • No Deco obligations.
  • No Rebreathers.

This has not changed, so why is it under constant discussion lately?

As far as I know, the standard is still the same. However, a few companies do have what they call "recreational" rebreathers.

Well the late discussions are trying to define, dan got his tits in a ringer lately for 100% deco bottle, what the real problem is that divers for the most part do not take the classes, reading and learning here on SB is what a majority do and the Instructors are here on this Board to get there name out there for a chance of word of mouth, plus the fact we have so many diver fatalities lately. I for one just can not see how you die from scuba, although I always put the caution that diving's dangerous.

it's not the rec level it is the new diver seeing what actual knowledge, experience, class they can get away with to improve diving. Think about this, there are many that watch me go out everyday, ask ?'s I say go get certified and get some gear, conversation is over, they think I should take them diving. Sure some have probably mentioned how many sets of scuba units and tanks I have. That is not it you either have the passion for it or the power to get involved. all the video I have given and shown, they still want me to take them.

Economy has changed but the urge to be a diver has not, yet they have to find a cheap way to do it, and it rolls right over to after they get certified, now how far can they get on a OW card.

I just hate to see the senseless diving deaths from not having the knowledge out there, either they learn from reading and learn to dive in advanced methods or they take classes.

Rec to tec is only a dive cert program that set the levels.

I have one diver her on the island I have taken to the extreme, all his learning is from me he does not even come here or anywhere to learn, he is still a OW diver, yet he has done some very technical dives with me and truthfully he has no buoyancy control, sucks air all the way down to nothing, and taught his kid to dive, and I have put him off and try to lesson him so he and kid do not die. divers are people and people have there own way of thinking and you just can't change that.

Well with Rec rimix courses, advanced Rec trimix courses recreational rebreather, yadda yadda yadda the lines get a little blurry.
Do we really need to define a term?

Depends a little where you dive since the OP's definitions are VERY North American. People dive elsewhere, sport!

Best and least moving-target definition I've heard: It's all about limits. If you know 'em and work within them, you're a tech diver.

CharltonHeston.jpg

"This has not changed, so why is it under constant discussion lately?"

1. Because tech training has become mainstream and easily available - thus eliminating any excuse for not doing it.

2. Because a small minority of highly experienced divers were doing these dives before tech training became mainstream and easily available.

3. Because those divers have done the diving without training, they feel that is a valid justification for not needing the training.

4. Because those divers feel resentful that diving has evolved and they now have no excuse to dive beyond limits without appropriate training.

5. Because those divers are seeking to re-define universal concepts, in order to justify their own activities.

6. Because those divers are seeking to encourage other, less experienced, divers to emulate them, in order to justify their own activities.

Last edited:
These definitions have been around longer than I have been diving.

Recreational Diving
  • Limit to 130'.
  • No overhead environments such as a Cave.
  • No Deco obligations.
  • No Rebreathers.

There was a time these "limits" did not exist. There was a time PADI did not exist. At one time a diver was limited by his knowledge of diving, his abilities, and his own good sense.

Bob
---------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

108660-definition-recreational-diving-vs-technical-charltonheston.jpg

Why is Hagrid stealing two Klingon grave-stones!?!?

That is not "Hagrid", whoever that is. That was my original Scuba instructor, and those are the dive tables we used. They doubled as weights, and if you ditched them, you had to chisel new ones.

Some people look at him and think he is looking up at God, but actually in this photo, Thal is giving him last-minute instructions on what to get for lunch.

Back
Top Bottom